Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to update iOS devices from a Mac OSX Server?

I'm using a Mac Mini OSX Mountain Lion Server to update multiple MacBooks successfully. I'm wondering if there is a way to update iOS devices (iPhone 4 and iPhone 5) running various versions of iOS? They are all sharing the same apple id.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:10 PM

5 replies

Oct 26, 2012 5:30 AM in response to kcorkum

If you are looking to upgrade iOS and the device is on iOS5 or higher, it can be updated directly on the device.

If you are wanting to upgrade iOS on a device running iOS4 or lower, it requires a physical connection to a computer running iTunes to update.

Only the connection to iTunes on a computer provides a backup prior to the upgrade as a part of the process.

A normal sync and backup can be done directly to iCloud of via Wi-Fi to a computer running iTunes if the device is running iOS 5 or higher. Otherwise, syncing and backing up requires a physical connection to a computer running iTunes.

Oct 26, 2012 7:05 AM in response to diesel vdub

Thanks Diesel. I think you have accurately described how I am doing updates on my iOS devices currently.

Just in case someone from apple is reading this here are some more details on what I was thinking:

The devices on my network are all iOS5 or higher. The updating directly from the device (over wifi) works correctly.

My real issues are saving bandwidth and updating devices on a consistent and coordinated manner.

For my Mac OSX updates, the central Mac OSX server downloads all of the updates once and then the Mac OSX clients are configured to use the internal central server to complete the updates. Doing it this way saves me bandwidth and makes the client updates very fast.

I have followed these instructions below and it worked flawlessly (assuming all of the Mac OSX clients are at the correct OS version number to work with Mountain Lion server):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4069

I'm looking to do the same thing with our iOS devices. I can see that there is additional complexity because of the requirement to sync the Mac OSX Server iTunes with the AppStore prior to updating the devices but I thought that there might be a way. I'm really only looking to update the core apple apps on the devices and the core of iOS. I really don't care about centrally updating the latest version of Angry Birds but that would be nice (lol).

Oct 28, 2012 5:07 AM in response to kcorkum

You can use apple Configurator to update iOS only

You can use it on any machine I does not have to be on the server

It will download the latest version of iOS for your device and install it over USB

Saving you having to download each update indervidually on each device

It does not interfere with users iTunes accounts or users iTunes syncing unless you choose to supervise the devices with it

Unfortunatlely profile manager and apple server do not support iOS updates so far

You can push app updates out via profile manager

But with ios6 change to unauthenticated App Store updates, users can update apps without needing login and password

So you 'll have no control over app updates or bandwidth being used by users downloading updates for the same apps

Is there a way to update iOS devices from a Mac OSX Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.