Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Duplicate Project" issues with 10.0.6

When I duplicate a project including the media files (third option) to another computer, it only saves "referenced" files, and keeps looking for the original file in original location on original computer.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of duplicating a project.

I use this feature to allow someone to continue editing on a separate comptuer.

It worked fine on 10.0.5. The behaviour has changed in 10.0.6.

Am I missing something? Anyone else experiencing this? Can someone help me with a workaround?

Thanks!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 8:02 PM

35 replies

Oct 31, 2012 6:00 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey Tom.

Some of the media was in the original event and some media was from other events without being copied.

The point of "Duplicate Project" is to take all media in a project and collect it in one location only - say on a seperate disk so you could work from home. I have done that a lot of times with a lot of different projects in 10.0.5 without problems. In 10.0.6 it makes all the files from both the original event and files from other events into referenced files - that is a new behaviour.

Mikael

Oct 31, 2012 6:27 AM in response to mikaelfromsmørum

In 10.0.6 it makes all the files from both the original event and files from other events into referenced files - that is a new behaviour.

What's new here? If you have material in multiple events it's always done that. Can you give more exact information about the behavior you're seeing and about the media and how it's connected. I'm not seeing a change in behavior, but then maybe I'm not understanding what you're doing or what you're seeing.

Oct 31, 2012 10:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This must be a bug. Think about it. Let's say that I got a project with files from 7 different events. My project is just pointing to the media in all the other events. It should be possible to do what the Duplicate Project-function is meant to do: duplicating the project with either all the referenced events copied to a new location or just the used project-clips copied to a new location - regardless of where the files exist in the first place.

Oct 31, 2012 10:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

But then check out the software's own explanation:

• "Duplicate Project and Referenced Events: Duplicates the project file, any Events referred to by the project file, and all of the media in the referenced Events."

• "Duplicate Project + Used Clips Only: Duplicates the project file and the media files for any clips used in the project."

I really think it is a bug.

Oct 31, 2012 2:46 PM in response to mikaelfromsmørum

It depends what you need- the Duplicate project workflow is now set up best for folks working in a shared storage environment where it's not neccesary to duplicate media but just the Projects and Events themselves. So the aliases themselves are duplicated but not the actual media.

If you want to gather all the media together first and then Duplicate off the project use the File>Organize Project Files command. Then Duplicate the Project and copy along with the Organized files. If you have media in many different locations, use the File>Consolidate Media command first, then Duplicate the Project.

"Duplicate Project" issues with 10.0.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.