Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Its the 27th today!!!!! When can I update my Bootcamp Windows 7 To Windows 8 with the official drivers?

I waited so far as I didnt want to take any risk of not working parts like trackpad etc on my Macbook Pro 2011.

But now, after the official launch I a am really keen on doing it. Apple...when are you ready??????

Ipad, Iphone 4 , Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011,, iOS 4, PC Windows 7

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 12:44 PM

Windows 7 was released 22nd October 2009. The updated Boot Camp drivers providing Windows 7 support were released on 19th January 2010. The gap between these two dates was 89 days. Wouldn't want to speculate, but thought this might be useful for your reference! 🙂

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 12:44 PM in response to Kattinka07

Windows 7 was released 22nd October 2009. The updated Boot Camp drivers providing Windows 7 support were released on 19th January 2010. The gap between these two dates was 89 days. Wouldn't want to speculate, but thought this might be useful for your reference! 🙂

Oct 25, 2012 10:46 PM in response to mende1

It shouldn't take a lot. Windows 7 support was included in a Snow Leopard update

Thats what I tought as well and why I waited for the official release, actually I extected Apple to publish the Update for Windows 8 Support yesterday same time as the launch.

Parallels / Virtuell Mashine is no solution for me as Windows in Bootcamp is my Main System. Mac OS is just for playing ;-)

This is why I do not want to take any risk. I think I will call Apple today and ask if they know alreaddy when nobody here is making a statement.... ( what, due through expierience is not to be expected, is it?)

Oct 26, 2012 1:07 PM in response to Kattinka07

I updated my Windows 7 Boot camp installation to Windows 8 today (15" MacBook Pro, early 2011). I wouldn't recommend it to others.

I had the trackpad problem that's been reported. It didn't work at all, and I was followed some instructions online that involved installing it as a generic USB input device. This enable moving the mouse cursor and clicking, but nothing else. Two-finger click wouldn't right-click, and two-finger drag wouldn't scroll. I also noticed while doing this that Device Manager was reporting a problem with the facetime camera. I didn't test it.

Other than that, the desktop seemed to work fine. I ran into more significant problems when I started playing around with the start screen. I used it fine a couple times to search for apps to run while I was dealing with the trackpad problem, but I hadn't really tried doing anything else. The first thing I did was go into the PC settings, which immediately caused my computer to crash and reboot. I tried again and the same thing happened. Now I'm rebooted into OS X. I'll probably try again this weekend to see if it's just the settings or if the whole start screen itself is unstable. I think it might have to do with graphics drivers. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant advised that I would need to reinstall the ATI Catalyst Control Center after upgrading, which I haven't done yet. Maybe people with Nvidia GPUs will have an easier time.

Oct 26, 2012 9:36 PM in response to Kattinka07

I installed the final version of Windows 8 (with refit) about two months ago from Dreamspark in my late 2009 Macbook, but when I installed everything (including the Windows 7 drivers from bootcamp) and was good to try it, the screen froze.

Now when I try to start Windows 8, the screen frozes everytime between 5min to 30min from starting the system.

Must be the drivers, I expect them to be released before the end of the year at least.

Oct 26, 2012 10:59 PM in response to Community User

Windows 7 was released 22nd October 2009. The updated Boot Camp drivers providing Windows 7 support were released on 19th January 2010. The gap between these two dates was 89 days. Wouldn't want to speculate, but thought this might be useful for your reference!

Good Morning and Thanks for the information even though I have to say I did not expect it would last that long.

Knowing Apple since a while now, I think it will not be different this time.

Three month to put some drivers together... Sounds to me like: Make it as difficult as possible for the users. Why do they have to run bloody Windows on our machines, anyway. Alright APPLE. Got the message. Three month! Time enough to look around and see if I can find myself another Windows 8 Machine.

The Surface is ordered anyway, the Nokia 920 is coming in November and when Apple does not support the windows 8 update any sooner, my Macbook will follow the way of my Iphone 5 and Ipad 3 and the Apple TV to the shopping bay.

Sorry for the really lovely screen ( thats why I am having my MBP) but looking forward to have a complete system from MS again.

Sorry Apple! Was an intresting expierience.

Kind regards... Kattinka

Oct 27, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Kattinka07

Why should Apple make Windows 8 support a priority? They provide Boot Camp without support and can release drivers when they want. Your Mac is designed to run Mac OS X, not Windows. If you want to use Windows, then by a Windows machine. SImple.

Windows 8 installs without issue on my Early 2011 MBP, using Windows 7 drivers and some driver updates from WU.

Oct 27, 2012 10:53 AM in response to chuythebestone

@chuy, I had a very similar problem with the Consumer Preview, the RC and the final version. I couldn't find any info about it online, but after lots of trial and error, I discovered that it's the built-in power management software.

To confirm that you're having the same problem, try booting into Windows 8 and once you're at the login screen, yank your power cable. If it immidiately freezes, then it's the same issue. To fix the problem, open setttings for power management and set it to maximum performance. That did the trick for me. From the max performance baseline, you can then make a custom power plan and change individual settings and see what works for you.

Let me know if this helps!

Oct 28, 2012 9:23 AM in response to CSPhobos

Then don't purchase a Mac in the first place, if you are really wanting to run Windows. You still need to purchase a licence for Windows to use it, and that an cost quite a bit (albeit Windows 8 is around £50).

Don't get me wrong, Boot Camp is an amazing piece of software and the ability to run Windows on a Mac can be handy at times, but I wouldn't class it as a selling point for a Mac. Most consumers don't know about Boot Camp.

CSPhobos wrote:

You forget that after purchasing a mac, some can't afford or do NOT WANT TO purchase another computer. Bootcamp, imo, is a GREAT reason to buy a mac in the first place!

Nov 4, 2012 9:53 PM in response to bbfc

but I wouldn't class it as a selling point for a Mac.

BBFC I would. I would never have bought the Macbook without the possibility to run Windows on it and I know that I am not alone with this opinion.

My reason for buying it was the increbidle screen for photowork on the road. Under photographers thats known and a lot of us having Macbooks because of this. But a lot of us working only with Windows on it.

I was quiet open, trieing the MAC OS after purchasing for a while as my only OS but I had to find out for myself that it is not my world. I was missing so many programs which I am used to work with and the way the filesystem works on a Mac is for a Windows user absolut confusing and odd.

So, I swapped back after a while and nowadays I am only starting up the ML Partition to update that side of my Macbook.

BTW your imagination that Bootcamp is not Apple support piece of software is wrong.

I was told such a rubish by a guy in the Apple Store once as well and contacted Apple because of this to get a clear view on it and they clearly stated that Bootcamp is an supportet Apple Product.

The windows Installation process is part of it but of cource Windows itself is not a supported product. This is what some people misunderstand.

I formyself dont like this permanent hitting from Aplle People to Windows Users ( no, i find the Windows people are not as bad with this) Live and let die...

So I just hope that Apple will be a bit faster this time wiht the drivers so that I can update my Machine to W8 soon.

Nov 4, 2012 11:35 PM in response to SKJohnson1

thanks, my macbook didn't froze when I unpluged the charger after login but I tried your solution and saw less freezes, but my problem wasn't fully resolved.

After that, I decided to solve other problems I had like accesing the Windows Store and Email apps (which I couldn't access to). The only solution was reinstalling the OS and all programs except for development environments and videogames.

And then the worse happened, the Mac OS X partition hangs at startup. I can see and move the mouse on the apple logo, but the destop never appears. I'm afraid the only solution will be to reinstall everything again and return to Windows 7 until Apple officially releases Win8 drivers in bootcamp.

Unfurtunately I don't have time to do that right now, so I'll have to wait until vacations. Meanwhile I'll be able to use Windows 8 in my Macbook and not Mountain Lion.

I know, it's weird...

Its the 27th today!!!!! When can I update my Bootcamp Windows 7 To Windows 8 with the official drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.