Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iPad Retina should I buy in the US so it will work in the UK?

I am going to the States next month and want to buy the new iPad there. Which iPad Retina should I buy in the US so it will work in the UK, the AT&T or Verizon model? I'm probably staying with O2, but can't tell if different models are sold in the UK, or if its just the one. If just the one, I can't find which model number it is for the UK. The apple store website isn't exactly clear on which model(s) is/are sold in the UK.

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 1:25 AM

Hi, as someone from the UK I'm not 100% sure if my answer will be of any help or even 100% correct.

I have an iPad 2 on Vodafone. I'm not 100% sure how the US works but from my experience we just buy the iPad and then go to whichever provider we want for the data plan.

With that said you can buy the iPad direct from the supplier (i.e. Vodafone supplied my iPad and plan) but I'm not sure of the impact of that.

I have done a quick search for info about the UK and found this http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-953301.html

Which basically states that you aren't locked down onto a network with an iPad so you can buy one and then go and get the data plan from whoever. I'm not sure if the US lock them down onto different networks.

Hope this goes some way into answering your questiona above and sorry if not.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2012 1:25 AM in response to Tara Cravens

Hi, as someone from the UK I'm not 100% sure if my answer will be of any help or even 100% correct.

I have an iPad 2 on Vodafone. I'm not 100% sure how the US works but from my experience we just buy the iPad and then go to whichever provider we want for the data plan.

With that said you can buy the iPad direct from the supplier (i.e. Vodafone supplied my iPad and plan) but I'm not sure of the impact of that.

I have done a quick search for info about the UK and found this http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-953301.html

Which basically states that you aren't locked down onto a network with an iPad so you can buy one and then go and get the data plan from whoever. I'm not sure if the US lock them down onto different networks.

Hope this goes some way into answering your questiona above and sorry if not.

Oct 28, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Tara Cravens

Hi,

We don't have cellular, but I have often read many ques. and answers here just for my own info when we were first buying. I do know that in the past, Verizon had a different system than ATT and others. That could all have changed with LTE. I checked a couple of articles and found the following links which might help you. PLEASE NOTE these were published in March and May of 2012, so things might have changed with the new ipad 4. Also note that you can buy a cellular here without a contract that you could then set up with your own UK phone company.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple-iPad-UK-4G-LTE-Australia,15634.html May 15, 2012

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/43972/are-the-new-ipads-ipad-3-for-sale -in-the-us-unlocked-for-the-uk Mar. 2012

You also said you wanted retina display and then said you were probably staying with 02. If by that you mean the ipad 2, I want to let you know that the ipad 2 does NOT have the retina display. That would mean you'd have to get the old discontinued 'new' ipad or the ipad 4. And if I were you, I would not even think of buying an old 'new ipad, even if there's a great sale on them. I'd go straight to the ipad 4.

Make sure you do as much research as possible.

Hope this helps.

Oct 28, 2012 10:56 AM in response to Tara Cravens

Hi again,

If you scroll down on the questions just below this response you'll see that somene else (cabal101) has pretty much the same question, and it was answered by Demo.

All ipad minis, so I expect that all ipad 4's are now sold unlocked! So you can wait and still use your carrier at home. It's probably the LTE. But please keep researching to be sure.

Oct 28, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Tara Cravens

GSM to ensure no issues

the iPad 3 does not support LTE 4G outside US

Not clear whether the iPad (4) Retina will support any of the UK 4G transmissions

The new iPhone 5 can only use EE 4G signals when they arrive but not O2

So if you plan to stay with O2 then the AT&T version will work fine

on 3G with O2 in UK but unlikely to support any 4G

Oct 29, 2012 5:27 AM in response to appleuser1322

I'm looking at getting the iPad "4", tho Apple appear to just be calling it the "iPad with Retina display". To be honest, I'm not overly concerned about the LTE thing for now. I live in a part of the UK that is unlikely to get a decent 4G signal for a long time, which is why I went ahead and stayed with O2 for my iPhone 5. I just want to pick it up in the States as it's about £100 cheaper that way.

From the stats on http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE, the Verison CDMA is the one compatible with EE, tho. As they only seem to be selling one version here in the UK (when I tested out by preordering I wasn't given a choice or asked about carrier), is that the model (A1460) that is also going to be sold in the UK? The description in the basket says MD524B/A.. Or is there a completely separate model for the UK (which would be rather strange for Apple to do)?

Which iPad Retina should I buy in the US so it will work in the UK?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.