Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Humming from iMac headphone output after 30 seconds of no audio playback

Hello,

I have an iMac 27" OS X 10.7.5

I have a standard home stereo connected via the headphone/mini jack output. Sometimes I swap over to Bose noise cancelling headphones, also with the mini jack.

When any audio is playing, the humming is not present. After 30 seconds of no audio (i.e. when iTunes stops playing a song, or Safari stops playing a Youtube video) the humming starts. It sounds like a 60hz mains hum to me. It occurs without fail at exactly 30 seconds on both the stereo system and the headphones very time after no audio.

Someone must know how to change this exceptionally annoying feature?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:11 AM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2012 6:32 AM in response to tekkie50

I don't think this is a feature. It would appear that you have a ground fault or a component failure. If the ground on your wall receptacle is proper you should not be getting the A/C hum unless a filter component in your iMac has failed. Even if you have to use a 3 wire extension cord try using a different outlet and see if the problem continues.

Oct 27, 2012 8:37 AM in response to RRFS

Thanks RRFS,

RRFS wrote:

I don't think this is a feature. It would appear that you have a ground fault or a component failure. If the ground on your wall receptacle is proper you should not be getting the A/C hum unless a filter component in your iMac has failed. Even if you have to use a 3 wire extension cord try using a different outlet and see if the problem continues.

But surely the humming would be constant if there was a ground fault or a componant failure?

When any audio is playing, the humming is not present. After 30 seconds of no audio the humming starts. When you play any audio from any program the humming stops a fraction of a second before you hear the audio.

This is what leads me to believe it is some sort of setting - maybe power saving the way I remember some USB ports turn off power (I used to use PC's until only recently and knew how to stop it happening) I don't know whether Macs do this as well?

PS - I know faults can occur at any time but this iMac has only been out of the box for a few weeks! 😕

Oct 31, 2012 7:06 AM in response to RRFS

Apple phone support couldn't find a solution. They recreated the problem while I was on the phone with one of their iMacs.

The guy on the phone was very helpful and said he would get in touch with the engineers and get back to me if they have any further information. Will update here as & when...

So, unfortunately, I'm stuck with my 30 second delay hum for the forseable future 😟

Apr 29, 2013 3:17 PM in response to tekkie50

I have the EXACT same problem and I just finished buying a $15 ground static loop filter, which took out the lower frequencies, but not the hiss. I connect from a 27" iMac to a JVC stereo for sound and when I run the cable to my laptop, the issue dissapears. The issue is certainly with the iMac.

I was thinking about creating a track for iTunes of just silence (ala John Cage) and then looping the song in the background, but that seemed excessive.

BTW, I just installed AntiHum and it works for me, thanks Alfred171!

Humming from iMac headphone output after 30 seconds of no audio playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.