Skip navigation

Need more ram?

337 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 10:20 AM by christopherfromlima RSS
Rumi ableh Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 26, 2012 7:36 AM

based on this screen capture of my mac mini

do i need more ram?( i only run safari when i take this)  . and any advice to speed up my mac ??

Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 9.21.56 PM.png

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)
    Oct 26, 2012 8:11 AM (in response to Rumi ableh)

While there are some page outs, it's ony 2% of page ins. When page outs get above 10% that's a pointer to more memory being needed (note the values reset when you reboot).

That said, 2GB of memory, while the minimum for Mountain Lion and Lion, many have found that 4GB is required for performance.

• christopherfromlima Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Oct 26, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to BGreg)

I would definitely bump to 4GB.

Oct 26, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to Rumi ableh)

No prob, it's not a huge deal. But it would likely be a bit snappier with some more RAM. Take a look at Crucial.com, tell it what machine you have and see what memory options it give you. You can probably do it for under $35 if you look around.

• BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)
    Oct 26, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to Rumi ableh)

4GB (2 x 2GB) should run you around $25-$30. I would just do that and reevaluate the performance. That may be enough, especially on a new system.

Oct 26, 2012 10:20 AM (in response to BGreg)

I agree, just getting to 4GB should make a big difference.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.