Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How/where to download Mac OS X 10.6?

Okay, so we got a Desktop mac back in 2009, and because I'm a bit dumb, I haven't updated any software since.

Now my Dad just got an iPhone5, and so I was going along nicely, setting it up an all that until it said that I needed iTunes 10.7, that was fine with me, off I went, waited for that to download. It downloaded and i went to install it, but then it said that to run it, the computer needed Mac OS X 10.6.8. I downloaded that, and then once again, when I went to install that, it said that I needed Mac OS X 10.6. After looking around on the internet, it soon came to my dismay that Apple don't sell it anymore, and I have no idea where to find it at all. I then clicked on software update, just on the off chance that there might be something but nothing came up 😟

So I have a coupla questions.

Basically 1. How do I update my mac from 10.5.8, the software its running on now, to the software needed to run iTunes 10.7?

2. Is there any way that the iPhone 5 can be set up without using iTunes? or is it possible to set up the iPhone 5 without using a computer at all? This actually seem to be the better option, because my Dad is actually deaf, and therefore wont actually have any music on his Phone so I dont see any need for it to be connected to iTunes, hes got an apple ccount so he'll still be able to buy apps etc.

3. If no.2 isnt possible, is there any way, place or website that sells Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard so I can download it onto our desktop?

If you could give me any of these answers I will be very grateful, because I should soon be getting the iPhone 5 as well, and I have LOTS of music, so to be honest, everything needs to be updated anyway for myself when I get my new phone.

Thanks guys!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 1:12 PM

Upgrading to Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion

You can upgrade to Mountain Lion from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Mountain Lion can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $19.99. To access the App Store you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later installed.

You can purchase Snow Leopard by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will receive physical media - DVD - by mail.

Third-party sources for Snow Leopard are:

Snow Leopard from Amazon.com

Snow Leopard from eBay

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

You can purchase Lion by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download.

Be sure your computer meets the minimum requirements:

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications.

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

7. Xserve (Early 2009)

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps - App compatibility and feature support for OS X & iOS.

Am I eligible for the free upgrade?

See Apple - Free OS X Mountain Lion upgrade Program.

For a complete How-To introduction from Apple see Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.

Model Eligibility for Snow Leopard and Lion.

Snow Leopard General requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2012 1:12 PM in response to Whaplode

Upgrading to Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion

You can upgrade to Mountain Lion from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Mountain Lion can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $19.99. To access the App Store you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later installed.

You can purchase Snow Leopard by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will receive physical media - DVD - by mail.

Third-party sources for Snow Leopard are:

Snow Leopard from Amazon.com

Snow Leopard from eBay

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

You can purchase Lion by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download.

Be sure your computer meets the minimum requirements:

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications.

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

7. Xserve (Early 2009)

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps - App compatibility and feature support for OS X & iOS.

Am I eligible for the free upgrade?

See Apple - Free OS X Mountain Lion upgrade Program.

For a complete How-To introduction from Apple see Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.

Model Eligibility for Snow Leopard and Lion.

Snow Leopard General requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

How/where to download Mac OS X 10.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.