Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee and Start up disk repair?

I installed McAfee Antivirus software about 9 months ago and couldn't stand what it did to my computer. I want to uninstall it but I don't know where to get an uninstall program for it. Does anyone have a suggestions? I have an iMac G-4 PPC with OS 10.4.11

Also, Disk Utilities says my start up disc needs repaired. Using the original install disc, what are the STEP -BY STEP instructions to repair the start up disc. I'm not really savvy so start with staritng up from the install disc, please.

Thank you so much for any help you can give. I need to keep this computer running for at least several more months.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 2:53 PM

4 replies

Oct 26, 2012 6:56 PM in response to lnwbpa

Try this link: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB54975

Many antivirus utilities will make a horrendous mess of your Mac, but McAfee will render it practically useless. You will need to uninstall it using its uninstaller utility, if one is still available for your G4 iMac.

There are many variants of McAfee, so providing step-by-step instructions for you to follow will be nearly impossible without knowing exactly what version of this junk you installed.

You may be better off completely erasing your Mac and starting over.

This may also help: https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22134/en_US/VirusScan%20for%20Mac%208.6.1%20User%20Guide%20Addendum.pdf

Oct 27, 2012 5:12 AM in response to lnwbpa

I advise backing up your whole Mac to an external drive before you do anything - I would use Carbon Copy Cloner for this.

I have had very good results with AppleJack:

1 - Install AppleJack

2 - Boot holding cmd S

3 - Type:

applejack AUTO shutdown

4 - Hit return

Can take a few hours.

Alternatively you can use the install disk:

1 - Boot installer

2 - Pursue install process until you see a menu at the top of the screen with Utilities

3 - Select repair disk

You need to make sure that you do not go too far and start installation.

Oct 27, 2012 5:30 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Please ignore my earlier post. Here is an updated version:

I advise backing up your whole Mac to an external drive before you do anything - I would use Carbon Copy Cloner for this.

I have had very good results with AppleJack:

1 - Install AppleJack

2 - Boot holding cmd S

3 - Type:

applejack AUTO shutdown

4 - Hit return

Can take a few hours.

Alternatively you can use the install disk:

1 - Insert installer CD/DVD

2 - Restart holding the C key

3 - Select language

4 - You should see a menu at the top of the screen

5 - Select Utilities from menu

6 - Select Disk Utilities

7 - Select the disk you want to repair

8 - Select Repair Disk

9 - Close windows and/or go back until you get a Restart option

10 - Restart

McAfee and Start up disk repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.