Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sluggish Mac Pro

I have a Mac Pro which to me is running a bit sluggish,

Running 10.7.5

2x2.8 Quad Core

12gb memory

3 drives

main 250gb

drive 2 150gb

drive 3 1 TB

external drives

200gb

1 tb for back up.

I do web development so I work with a lot of video and most of my heavy files are on the separate drives.

Things I notice:

when opening docs from other drives ( a bit of a wait- like 5 seconds)

Also a bit of a lag when I have a few windows / apps open.

I just need to preform basic maintenance. I have diskwarrior, Mac Keeper and haveb't repaired permissions in a while.

Any pointers?

RD

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Mac Pro 8 Core

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 4:49 PM

1 reply

Oct 26, 2012 7:05 PM in response to ralphiedee

MacKeeper is malware that charges you money to mess up your computer. You should remove it and never install it again.

Repair Permissions is useful ONLY when Apple-Installed Applications refuse to open. To do routine maintenence use ( Repair Disk ).

Except for rendering, working with Video is an I/O problem. Most of your drives appear to be slow antiques, and you can get a new fast 1TB for under US$100. You should have your Boot Drive separate, with only System, Library, Applications and the hidden unix files. All other files should be moved off to other drives.

When editing, you should have separate Source drive and Destination drive, and neither of those should be the Boot Drive.

Sluggish Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.