Skip navigation

DVD looks horrible on LED flatscreen

1123 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 2:52 PM by Tony Gay RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Rylie Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 26, 2012 9:57 PM

Thanks for any help on this.  Have been making DVD's w/ DVDSP for years... always looking great on computer and various players.  Just tested on a Samsung LED 40" and it looks horrible, unwatchable, pixelated, blurry. Unfortunately, this is where the DVD will be screened.  Have tried various TV settings and can't figure out the problem. Have a deadline for viewing and I'm in a bit of a panic...any advice appreciated.  Thank you!

• Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (12,945 points)
    Oct 27, 2012 6:52 AM (in response to Rylie)

Rylie wrote:

Have been making DVD's w/ DVDSP for years... always looking great on computer and various players. 

Since you have DVD authoring experience, I assume it's not as likely that it's an encoding problem. But I would consider whether the kind of content – background, movement, lighting was unusually challenging compared to past DVDs you've made. Or whether your source file's video format is different than you usually work with. And if your source is HD, you may be able to improve your results by adjusting the settings in frame controls.

Also; as a quick test, try taking a short representative section of of your movie and burning a DVD through Compressor – bypassing DVD Studio Pro.

Is the player one that you've successfully used before? It may be poor scaling from the player. If you can change those settings, test whether that makes a difference. If it doesn't and you can swap out the player for something you have previously good results with, try substituting that.

Good luck.

Russ

• Michael Grenadier Level 6 Level 6 (19,805 points)
    Oct 27, 2012 11:07 AM (in response to Rylie)

make sure the dvd player is connected either via component or hdmi connections.  This the usual culprit (besides the fact that you're upscaling when you show a Standard Def DVD on most flatscreens).      

Oct 27, 2012 11:34 AM (in response to Rylie)

since you're shooting and editing in HD, the most important thing is to turn on frame controls in compressor and set the resizing filter to BEST.  This is crucial

Oct 27, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to Michael Grenadier)

I'm assuming you're editing in HD and exporting from fcp using file:  export:  quicktime movie (not quicktime conversion) with current settings.

• Meg The Dog Level 6 Level 6 (9,385 points)
    Oct 27, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to Rylie)

There are some HD consumer screens that poorly display SD material. They are optimized for HD and the SD display is a poor step-child. I have a Panasonic that also poorly displays SD material. Stair-stepped edges, etc.

One thing you might try is to connect to the monitor via analog RGB connectors instead of HDMI. My Panasonic shows a slight improvement when using the analog input.

If this is for a major presentation, you may want to consider a different method of display.

MtD

Oct 27, 2012 11:56 AM (in response to Rylie)

1) What Michael said about the Resize filter is important.

2) I think your bit rate could be bumped up to perhaps 7.0 Mbps average.

3) Again, try having Compressor create the disk directly, using the default settings (also setting the Resize Filter to best).

BTW, are you able to test one of your previous DVD's on this Samsung? (And just to  say, on my Sony LED, DVDs made from HD video look good.)

Russ

Oct 27, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to Rylie)

Does it have component (3 rca cables) or svideo connections?  If so, either will give you better image.  Component is preferable.  DVD players are so cheap, that it may make sense to get a dvd player with hdmi or at least component.

Oct 27, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to Russ H)

Russ, why would you have compressor make the dvd?  Can't think there'd be any advantages over dvdsp.  I almost always do a build in dvdsp and use toast to burn the disk.  Gives me a little more control.

Oct 27, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to Michael Grenadier)

Hi Michael.

Agreed. I was suggesting it as a way to get a better sense of whether it was an encode-related issue or A/V equipment-related. The Compressor>Create DVD template method certainly isn't better than DVDSP; rather, it's Spartan-like method that I've found gives pretty decent results on a predictable basis and it's default bit-rate setting is quite high for HD material.

Russ

Oct 27, 2012 2:10 PM (in response to Rylie)

Larry Jordan was warning that if you crank the several Frame Controls all the way up, you could be in for a marathon encoding session. (Apple warns of this in the manual.) But limited to the Resize, I've not found it over the top time-wise.

Oct 27, 2012 5:36 PM (in response to Rylie)

If the other DVD's look decent, I'd tend to downplay the idea that equipment and/or connectionss are the problem.

Can you isolate what's different between the problem DVD and the earlier ones? (A different frame rate, or resolution or codec?)

(Meaning, comparing the the videos used as source files.)

Russ

Message was edited by: Russ H

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.