Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sdxc uhs-1 64gb SanDisk memory card compatibility?

The SDXC UHS-1 (ultra high speed) card was developed to help video and photos to write even faster to the card. But I'm wondering if my MBP mid 2012 card reader supports this type of card. I beleive that music files are also supported.

I want to extend my storage capacity and take my iTunes music (music only) off my SSD and onto the SDXC UHS-1 (or possibly UHS-2) card which will be permanently inserted.

Anyone used the above card SPECIFICALLY with a MBP mid 2012 ??????

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:50 PM

10 replies

Oct 27, 2012 1:36 AM in response to animist08

Ha! The 'no' was in reference to the fast that I have a late 2011 model, not a 2012, but...

I use three different UHS cards in my camera - and all work quite well in my late 2011, so I'm sure that they would work just fine in your 2012. They cost a little more, yes, but my camera and computer both handle them quite well. These, specifically, are the cards that I have.

Clinton

Oct 27, 2012 1:54 AM in response to animist08

Pretty good stuff! I wish that I was able to get out more - I'm handicapped and in a wheelchair - so most of what I shoot is events, portraits, movies and the like. Occasionally I'm able to venture a little further afield and shoot some magazine/newspaper ads, etc. I'm trained as both a graphic designer and photographer so I make a little extra money doing both!

Clinton

Oct 27, 2012 2:40 AM in response to animist08

Ha! I'm in the US - Birmingham, Alabama! Now I spent almost 4 years in the UK (going to law school) but I'm afraid that I had to move back to the States after my education was complete.

Now I just do things for fun - and a little profit from time to time.

Thanks for asking, though. I do a lot of work with charitable organizations in and around Birmingham (AL) now - United Cerebral Palsy, Disability Rights & Resources, even Sate-funded Medicaid programs. Love the work and the people that I meet. I try to earn at least $300 a month to pay for 'treats' - living on a disability income can be very tough for a lot of people.

Thanks,

Clinton

Oct 27, 2012 2:55 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Just a thought. I'm glad you can at least afford cool stuff. I work as a Pathology Collector ( Phlebotomist) for a large path company in Australia. When I used to visit aged care facilities I was always impressed to see the odd (very rare ) resident using a computer or games console. You're better than most people your vintage. Initially I thought you were in the UK. I can understand your "ha" as a dismissal because my suggestion would probably not be easy with most US councils. But then again nothing great becomes of easy.

Oct 27, 2012 3:20 AM in response to animist08

Well, I'm not really 'vintage' (yet). I was 47 when I went into the nursing home after losing both legs to diabetes and am 53 now. You'd be surprised at some of the ages of people in nursing homes in the US - we had one girl who was 19. Most of the residents were 60+ but there were probably 20 or so of use, out of 120, that were between 19-55. I just decided that, with a little help, I could make it on my own. Last November, the Medicaid offices in Alabama began something called the "Alabama Community Transition (ACT)" waiver. It allowed people that drew larger-than-normal disability checks to still stay on some Medicaid programs and even some extra 'help' (I have a caregiver that comes in 4 days a week to help me shower, clean, run errands, etc.).

So it's not just the 'aged' in elderly care facilities! Not in the US, at least.

I'm in the process of putting together all of the information that I gathered when I was trying to get out so that others will know that there are alternatives to nursing homes for some. The biggest impedement for most is cost - someone injured at an early age hasn't paid in enough to Social Security to draw $24,000 a year, for example. And those are the type of people that need all the help they can get. It's estimated that it costs the state of Alabama $55,000 a year to keep one person in a nursing home - whereas the average cost for someone on the ACT waiver is $11,000. So it's to the state's advantage for those who are able to get out of the nursing homes.

Just now, I'm trying to get two friends out - one is 52 and the other 63. Neither of them need to be in a facility. But both were gunned down (literally) at an early age and did not pay much into Social Security Disability. But we're working on it - there are so many programs that can help but social workers in nursing homes don't want folks to leave, so some of the programs are difficult to find.

I know I got off topic - just want you to know that notebooks and iPads aren't unusual in nursing homes at all these days!

Clinton

Oct 27, 2012 3:42 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Yep, especially tablets (iPads etc) they're perfect for seniors. I wasn't so surprised to see a patient of mine using a PC and then, a few days later, playing on the Wii. But what impressed me was the fact she was interested enough to use and learn. She broke the mould of mainstream retiree. Anyway just wanted to say good on ya for havin a good crack at everything. I can see you really like to help others, maybe too much. Your experience is worth way more.

sdxc uhs-1 64gb SanDisk memory card compatibility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.