Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select Airplay in Sound control panel

I can't select my Airplay speakers in the Sound control panel. Airplay works fine from iTunes, but when I try to selct it in the Sound control panel, I click on the Airplay speakers and the selection bounces back up to Line out. Restarting the machine fixes the problem for a while, but that's not really a solution.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 7:23 PM

19 replies

Oct 28, 2012 9:50 AM in response to sberman

Sorry for not being clear: I can not select my Airplay speakers in System Preferences/Sound. I can select it using the icon in the lower right hand corner of iTunes. When I try in System Preferences/Sound, I click on the Airplay speakers and the selection goes back to what was formerly selected.

I'd like to use the Airplay speakers for everything, but I can't hear system sounds, games, etc.

Oct 28, 2012 1:23 PM in response to Don Pickett

Try deleting the sound preferences file as follows:

In Finder, press "Go" from the menu and hold the option key down. Choose "Library" (which is only visible when holding the option key). Go to the Preferences folder in Library.

Look for the file called "com.apple.soundpref.plist". Drag it to the trash. See if that fixes your issue. If it does, great, you can empty the trash. If it does not, you might consider restoring the file.

Hope this helps!

Can't select Airplay in Sound control panel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.