Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Library & Vault 'up to date' but different?

I just updated my Aperture Vault and then I did a 'diff' (command-line tool to compare things) between the Library and the Vault and it shows thousands of differences. Makes me wonder how secure the Aperture Vault really is.

Does anybody have any idea why the file structure between the two seems the same, yet each file seems completely different?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:30 PM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2012 7:25 AM in response to Rob de Jonge

As the underlying structure of an Aperture 'library' consists of plist files, xml files, sql databases and other Aperture specific binary files there is no reason to think a tool like diff would show no differences between a library and a vault.

Not to mention that one is a library and the other is a vault!

If the gear icon next to the vault update stuff is black then the vault and library are in sync. If you don;t trust the vault mechanism then just copy the library. Even then I'd be surprised if diff came up clean.

regards

Oct 29, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Aye Es Oh

Aye Es Oh, I avoided to post that particular link, because I find it dangerous. I was wondering, if Rob de Jonge had read it though.

This is an implementation speciality, that may be true for a special Aperture version, but is not guaranteed to remain true for future versions. If Aperture would guarantee that a vault is an exact copy of an Aperture Library, the documentation would specify it that way. But it is specified as an incremental backup of your Library, so there may be many differences. Each time the Vault is updated only a part of the vault will change. The library can be reconstructed from this backup, but nowhere is stated. that the library and its backup are identical.

Aperture Library & Vault 'up to date' but different?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.