Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt port to minidisplay port

Can I connect my 11 inch MacBook Air (Sep 2011) with a thunderbolt port to my iMac 27 inch (Jan 2011) with a mini-display port so I can use the larger display?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27 inch - 2011

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 12:07 PM

Yes,

A notable peculiarity of Thunderbolt is that it uses exactly the same connector as Mini Display Port, and that's not all. The Thunderbolt connector also carries Mini Display Port video signals. That means you can plug a Mini Display Port video cable/adapter in to a Thunderbolt connector and your monitor will work.

If you plan to do other things with your Thunderbolt connector and don't want it wasted on a monitor, you can also choose an HDMI --> DVI adapter, which for your purposes will be functionally equivalent.

You can even use both at the same time.

- Anonymous

http://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6134&p=75115&hilit=thunderbolt#p75115

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Guy Emerson

Yes,

A notable peculiarity of Thunderbolt is that it uses exactly the same connector as Mini Display Port, and that's not all. The Thunderbolt connector also carries Mini Display Port video signals. That means you can plug a Mini Display Port video cable/adapter in to a Thunderbolt connector and your monitor will work.

If you plan to do other things with your Thunderbolt connector and don't want it wasted on a monitor, you can also choose an HDMI --> DVI adapter, which for your purposes will be functionally equivalent.

You can even use both at the same time.

- Anonymous

http://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6134&p=75115&hilit=thunderbolt#p75115

thunderbolt port to minidisplay port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.