Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will this work

I want to install XP in bootcamp under Mountain lion. I know it does not work directly but I may have a work around.

1. Partition disk into 2 partitions (mac & bootcamp)

2. wipe mac partition

3. use snow leopard disk to install bootcamp files and drivers on bootcamp partition

4. Install XP

5. restore mountain lion

I know I will have to use a usb superdrive in target mode as the new unit does not have an optical drive

Will this work? any suggestions? Thanks in advance

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), ipad macbook black, atv2, TC AE 4s

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:12 AM

No it will not work. There are no XP Mountain Lion drivers and newer Apple computer hardware does not support XP.

Install Windows 7 or install XP using a virtual machine like Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox.

3 replies

Oct 27, 2012 9:23 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Are you sure? I am currently running xp via bootcamp with mountain lion installed (it was upgraded from snowleopard to lion then to mountain lion. The bootcamp partition and bootcamp was not touched or upgraded during the Mac OS changes. So I figure if I install snowleopard to a clean harddrive with bootcamp add xp and upgrade the mac partition to mountain lion it should work. I am currently running this on a late 2007 imac core2 duo 2.8G extreme BTO. I don't see why this would not work on a new imac

Oct 27, 2012 9:50 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thinking about this again; I think you are right. The new imacs have nvida video cards prior to this they were ATI so video drivers probably won't work. Oh well I guess parallels has to be the way to go. Only reason I'm using XP is I like old DOS and early windows games and XP still has some dos compatibility left. Thanks for replying.

will this work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.