Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cross dissolve and other transitions don't always seem to work...

...by which I mean, when I bring together two pieces of video and wish to make say fade in/fade out, sometimes it works fine, but sometimes the effect is there but far to brief. If you have the transport right on the margin you can see the cross effect is there but you can't see it happen in real time.

I can't work out why it works or doesn't, what I'm doing wrong... etc!

All advice greatly appreciated, as I reall

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5), Final Cut Express HD, Logic 8

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:23 AM

From the FCE manual:

User uploaded file

MtD

5 replies

Oct 27, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Bousque

Hi

Can it be so that You are use to iMovie and just started of with FinalCut ?

Is Clip-Handles a familiar term or not ?

FinalCut - doesn't work as iMovie - but needs Clip-Handles to be able to make transitions work OK.

• Clip-Handle - is the part of a video-clip prior and after the bit that is viewed. If there is non then Transitions do not work. You make this by NOT cutting up the clip's to tight - BUT USE the In-Point and Out-Point to each clip to set what part is to be viewed and then the remaining material is availably for transitions to use. And now they will do so and You can select the transition in TimeLine and make it longer or shorter in duration to suite the story.

iMovie - can do this by taking material from the viewable part of the video-clip so working in iMovie usually doesn't make one to notice this.

Yours Bengt W

Oct 27, 2012 9:36 AM in response to Bousque

Aha - well that would explain why sometimes it seems to be fixed by editing the length, though since it *seemed* not to always fix it I was assuming it wasn't directly related. As I usually end up slightly changing the length 'by hand' in the timeline, having usually set in and out points in the Canvas (or is the the Viewer - I'm not at home!) does this affect the matter?

Thank you both, I think you have sorted it out, will try it out during the week.

Yes Bengt I am a fairly new FCE user, post iMovie something like a year, but rather part time!

Thanks

Stephen

Cross dissolve and other transitions don't always seem to work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.