I would like to contribute both a new test case and a suggestion how to possibly avoid the problem - at a price.
Please try this: Remove one memory module so that you have just one DIMM remaining. This is known as a workaround to the same HDMI blinking out bug as ours, albeit on the PC platform.
According to this the bug only occurs with dual channel memory setups:
(Apologies in case I am accidentally re-posting a link here).
Here a quick description of my setup: Mac Mini Core i7 @ 2,3 GHZ w/ 16 GB RAM. I have a dual-screen setup with two Lenovo L220x each @ 1920x1200. The display connected via the Thunderbolt->DVI adapter works fine without any trouble at all whereas on the HDMI I get flicker, interemittent snow, or permament snow (need to power cycle display) every hour or so.
Finally an interesting observation: I had exactly the same problem with my MacBook Air (2011) with an Intel HD 3000 Graphics (as opposed to the HD 4000 in the Mac Mini). The difference was that the flicker occured with a 3rd-party miniDisplayport->DVI adapter while it worked flawlessly with the corresponding Adapter from Apple.
I have a feeling of de ja vu here.
I think if you go back a few pages you will find that someone has tried it and failed.
It would of course only be a work-around.
Nice try though!
Anyway it's APPLE that should be trying to find a solution. Perhaps we should all start billing Apple for consultancy fees!
Got the Same Problem, occurred today the first time over HDMI with a Flicker after exact 15 minutes with only unsing HDMI and now a second while using a 2 Screen Setup with Displayport Screen and a DVI Screen used with the standart Supplied adapter. got the Mini on Wednesday, let's hope that there will be a patch soon
I note a few Thunderbolt issues in this thread and was wondering if anyone had issues with Apple supplied displays too.
I'll look into this for you but there is no reason to believe that they wouldn't also have the same issues because they are manufactured by the same companies that make all other displays.
News, of a sort....
On Friday evening I dropped a line to Ms Lindberg, politely worded but making it clear that Apple's current performance in this issue leaves a lot to be desired.
At lunchtime in the UK today (so no doubt she was at her desk early in the USA) I received a call from Kashif Jamil of Executive Relations EMEIA in Cork, Republic of Ireland.
Basically Apple still doesn't understand the problem with the Mini but Engineering is on the case. He gave absolutely no indication of the ETA of any solution so I think that we must assume that 10.8.3 will not solve the problem and be pleasantly surprised if it does.
We talked around the issue of Apple's lack of communication and selling machines known to be potentially faulty but it was clear that we were starting to exceed his pay grade.
Sorry it's not good news but I thought you would wish to know.
I've experienced intermitant black screens for a few seconds, then recovers, typically occurs within 2 hours. Occassionally, video does not recover and display goes to "multicolored snow", which recovers by power cycling monitor. I would describes as "HDMI Video dropouts".
Mac Mini 2012, Macmini6,1 (purchased early December 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 (with Intel HD4000 graphics, of course)
8 GB memory (2x4GB upgraded myself)
OS 10.8.1 (both out of box, and reinstalled from internet using recovery partition)
problem was observed in these monitor configurations so far:
- HDMI to HDMI and brand new Asus PB238Q (text quality is also POOR in this configuration)
- HDMI to Apple supplied DVI converter to DVI in on Asus PB238Q
- HDMI to Apple supplied DVI converter to DVI on older Samsung SyncMaster2243BWX
I finally received notification about 10.8.2 OS update today, and upgraded to
OS X 10.8.2 (12C3104) Will report back in when I see the issue again (only used for about 1 hour).
So far three calls to Apple Support. I'm frustrated and dissappointed that Apple didn't provide users with any public information on either the pulled 10.8.2 OS update (I tried to install the downloaded update with "no volume meets requirements" error) or this HDMI video drop out issue. All I could get out of the first line tech support today was "We are aware there are issues with your model of Mac Mini, and our engineers are working on it." and "Not all MacMini's have this problem". When directly asked if this was hardware issue, he didn't know (or wasn't saying).
If Apple ever wants to make any headway into the corporate IT world, they will need to quickly become a lot more transparent when dealing with widespread issues. I've already wasted about 6 hours on these issues, much of which would have been avoided if Apple had posted a KB page on these problems and then promised to update when more information was available. Corporate IT departments are not going to waste their time with a company that keeps secrets from customers when buying mission critical hardware and software.
I'm real close to returning this Mac Mini 2012 unit for a exchange --- just roll the dice on another unit. Better then waiting for Apple to say something....I might run out of 90-days phone support at this rate. From the wealthest hardware/software company on the planet, I do expect more.
Thanks for that. I was intrigued as I have a 2009 iMac with a Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm HDD on SATA II and it is very slow, especially recently. I have tested it relentlessly but there is no obvious sign of failure. Anyway, just passed out of Apple Care warranty and its just before the iMac recall period for failed drives! I toyed with opening her up but your solution sounds cool as a stop gap. Unlike you I discovered this thread just as I was purchasing a Mac Mini online! Planned on same spec as yours too. Looked at new iMacs but seem a little steeply priced and I think I should give them some bedding in time!!!! Also not keen on 4 week wait.
No need to benchmark it unless you have software to hand, but if your HDD is dead then you can't really do a direct comparison.
I've been 'stop-gapping' ever since the 2006's internal drive failed in 2010. First using an external 5400 RPM and then the SSD.
I noticed no difference between internal and external platter efficiencies for my purposes. (Perhaps the internal was always a bit wonky, as there were frequent crashes for about two years before dying.) Switching to SSD brought a huge improvement.