Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVRAM issues, then dead screen

My girlfriend's Macbook Pro, a 2009 Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz, went totally dead about a month ago. After doing some research, I found that resetting the NVRAM (Command+Option+P+R) seemed to get it running again. We'd have to do this once a week or so. And while I assumed the problem might get worse, I hoped that it would stay ok.

Of course, it didn't. Recently, it went dead, and when we reset the NVRAM, the computer seemed to start up again, but with a dead screen. I tried to output video via DVI, but that was dead too.

It's an old laptop, and I'm inclined to say that it's a lost cause - however, it died in such an odd fashion that at the very least, i'm curious about what was going on. Does anyone have any insight? FWIW, it had a 3rd-party battery in it, and I noticed that the NVRAM wasn't resetting when the battery was out and the computer was plugged in.

Thanks!

Tyler

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:53 AM

3 replies

NVRAM issues, then dead screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.