Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems updating Mac OS X software.

I'm trying to update my Mac OS X software from 10.5.8 to the latest version, but whenever I click on software update it says my system is up to date. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:21 AM

If you are asking to upgrade to Snow leopard or Lion this does not come via software update. You must buy snow leopard and that is your first step.

Before you buy anything, first make sure your Mac is compatible.

Minimum specs for Snow Leopard. Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard - Read the Technical Specifications

Note. You can no longer buy Snow Leopard from an Apple retail store, only as follows.

If you are in North America ... Last I read, you must call them (1-800-MY-APPLE). It is $29 plus tax for family pack and $19 plus tax for the individual use version.

In Europe or otherwise … call your National Apple Helpline … http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Once you have bought and upgraded you will need to apply the Combo updater for Snow Leopard. Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.

Remember to repair permissions both before and after each upgrade/update.

Once you have done that you can look at going further ... but one step at a time

is best policy

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2012 10:21 AM in response to alexpribanich

If you are asking to upgrade to Snow leopard or Lion this does not come via software update. You must buy snow leopard and that is your first step.

Before you buy anything, first make sure your Mac is compatible.

Minimum specs for Snow Leopard. Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard - Read the Technical Specifications

Note. You can no longer buy Snow Leopard from an Apple retail store, only as follows.

If you are in North America ... Last I read, you must call them (1-800-MY-APPLE). It is $29 plus tax for family pack and $19 plus tax for the individual use version.

In Europe or otherwise … call your National Apple Helpline … http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Once you have bought and upgraded you will need to apply the Combo updater for Snow Leopard. Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.

Remember to repair permissions both before and after each upgrade/update.

Once you have done that you can look at going further ... but one step at a time

is best policy

Problems updating Mac OS X software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.