Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 work with iPad mini using the lightning to usb connector?

I'm thinking about buying the ipad mini because it's well.. cheaper and smaller than the regular one. I know that the

M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 works with a regular ipad, but you have to use the camera connection kit to do it. I'm wondering if it will work with the ipad mini using the lightning to usb camera cable, or will I need the lightning to 30pin + the camera kit, or will it just not work?

Thanks in advance

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:32 AM

5 replies

Feb 14, 2013 4:48 PM in response to firebreakerchip

I have (had) this same question (FYI) I have been using my m-audio keystation 32, for a year or more with my old original (version 1) ipad ... pulling up garageband - and playing the bass samples within that program live. works fabulously. Just bought a new ipad mini - had to take it back - bought it with the camera adapter kit (lightning to usb) that didn't work at all. I did get power to my keyboard...but it didn't talk to the program - I also tried another piano program that I had purchased - which when I synced my ipad - showed up on the mini - it also didn't recognize the keystation keyboard. I had a friend who had a lightning to 30 pin adapter - I tried plugging in my mini usb cable to usb and camera kit adapter - into the lightning to 30 pin adapter. Nothing - didn't even give the keyboard power. So after visiting the Apple Store "genius bar" .... returned the ipad mini - totally bummed - just wanted to update to newer - lighter - faster ipad .... but still same use .... is a no go - I'm still not sure why it doesn't work. The genius bar guy suggested that either a garageband update or ios update would fix the problem. I didn notice that on my old original ipad - garageband 2.0 is what is on there , and the new mini had garageband 3.0 also ios 6 - whereas my old ipad is running 5.1 .... so ...... ****! I'm bummed and irritated at apple. Seems no one can help me. I will just have to wait and see if within the next year there's some kind of fix on the internet. What is weird ..... why would they let me purchase garageband for my iphone and ipads (all generations) and not be able to use the same 3rd party hardware (via a lightning interface of some sort) to access the program? just doesn't make any sense. Tim (tjazzinc)

Feb 19, 2013 9:44 AM in response to firebreakerchip

I'll be a little bummed if the keystation doesn't work with my mini, but since you mentioned that it got power with the lghtning to usb adapter, but isn't recognized by software means something. I wonder if it's like when you plug certain devices into a laptop. The ports on computers generally have less power going to the side ports, so you have to plug it into the back and devices work fine. I wonder if it will work using a powered usb hub to connect the keystation to an iPad mini.

Feb 19, 2013 4:18 PM in response to firebreakerchip

Well,

Imagine how bummed I was - when no one at apple could explain why my keystation worked with my old original ipad but not with the new ipad mini. ..... I think it's stupid for them not to be serious enough to help me upgrade - they just got $500. worth of merchandise returned to them - I was gonna buy 2 ipads. one mini - and one regular size ipad to upgrade my old ones.... ridicuous. Getting power is encouraging ... the only thing the guy at the mac store said - (after checking with a musician mac genius guy upstairs) was that I should wait for an IOS update or a garageband update for compatibility .... that too is ridiculous.

By the way - I understand a lot about protocols and pin-outs, and data flow - but I am a full time jazz musician now - and couldn't be bothered with the technical aspects anymore - I just want the stuff to work. (I'm also waiting for an 81/2 X 11 ipad for my music charts..... ha ha

Will the M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 work with iPad mini using the lightning to usb connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.