Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Max fan speed after official iMac hard drive recall and replacement

My iMac has had its 1TB Seagate hard drive replaced officially as part of the recall programme. Since then the fans have run at maximum. From Googling I learn that this era of iMacs had a fan speed control as part of the hard drive and when people replaced their drives the fan speed was not controlled.

But my replacement was an official Apple replacement - surely this should have the same fan speed control???? Do I have to pay $30 for a 3rd party control programme?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:41 AM

15 replies

Oct 27, 2012 6:43 PM in response to Mike Felton

My Seagate HD was replaced via the recall program with a Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000, if I'm reading the System Profiler information correctly. In the week or so since the replacement, the fan speeds have been the same as they were previously under my normal usage conditions (998 rpm optical drive, 1099 rpm HD, 940 rpm CPU, per iStat Pro).

Oct 29, 2012 6:50 PM in response to inandoutofgrace

Just to finish this story...

I took the iMac back about 1600 on Sunday and at 0920 on Monday received a call to say that the cables had now been connected properly and it was ready for collection. "Oh and by the way", the techie said, "I noticed there was a dark smudgy area inside the display so I replaced it!"

So now I have a new hard drive AND a new screen. Every cloud has a silver lining...

A very happy customer of Apple store White City London! 🙂

Nov 11, 2012 6:51 PM in response to Mike Felton

Mike, just received mine back today after a drive replacement and the fans run at full speed for me as well. Also noticed a small dark spot right in the middle of the screen. Looks to be under the glass. I will be taking mine back in yet again to have them correct the issues. I would rather they just replace the unit or have someone who knows what they are doing fix it correctly, the first time..

Max fan speed after official iMac hard drive recall and replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.