Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail "From:" Field Customization

I have several IMAP accounts in Apple Mail. One of them is a Gmail account that I use as a conduit account for work, so when I reply to messages or compose new mail, I would like it to display a specific address in the "From:" field, instead of selecting it every time (I added my work account to Mail as well, though I forward messages to my Gmail account). So, for example, my Gmail account is "name.company@gmail.com" and my work email is "firstlastname@company.org".

When I compose messages from the Gmail account I would like the "From:" field to display "firstlastname@company.org" instead of "name.company@gmail.com". I am able to set up Gmail web interface to do this, but have not been able to set up Apple Mail to do the same (aside from instructing it to send messages using my work server, instead of the Gmail server).

In Lion, Mail was able to specify that address if I was replying to a messages sent to "firstlastname@company.org" but would show "name.company@gmail.com" for every new message. In ML, even replying to a message sent to "firstlastname@company.org" shows "name.company@gmail.com" in the "From:" field.

Does anyone know how to instruct Mail to choose only "firstlastname@company.org" when replying or composing new messages?

Thanks for your help!

🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 5:35 PM

There is a preferences option in Mail > Preferences > Composing where you can Send new mail from: Account of selected mailbox. However, there has been a change of behaviour in Mountain Lion. If you have a complex set of rules to move new messages to local folders, then your default From field will be the default mailbox - i.e. the one on the top. You can manually move a different mailbox to the top if you want.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2012 5:35 PM in response to spiritofdiscovery

There is a preferences option in Mail > Preferences > Composing where you can Send new mail from: Account of selected mailbox. However, there has been a change of behaviour in Mountain Lion. If you have a complex set of rules to move new messages to local folders, then your default From field will be the default mailbox - i.e. the one on the top. You can manually move a different mailbox to the top if you want.

Oct 28, 2012 11:23 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you for that piece of information, etresoft. I am aware of the preference option you mentioned, however, as I understand it, it allplies to all messages/accounts. I'll use that for now, though I would like to be able to set that preference for each account separately. I am deducing that this is not possible in the current version of Mail. Do you (or anyone else on here) know if this is something that can be achived via AppleScript (I have not used AppleScript before so I don't know the extent of its reach).

Oct 29, 2012 2:24 AM in response to etresoft

It seems that the preference to send the message from the specific address only works for "New" new messages (I suppose as advertiesed!). When hitting/keystroking the "Reply" option, the "From:" field first shows the account of that inbox, even if the message was originally addressed to a different account (the one that I want it to display when I hit "Reply"). Odd... or am I missing something?

Oct 29, 2012 3:50 AM in response to spiritofdiscovery

That is the way it works. You haven't provided many specifics about how your mail is configured, so it is difficult to say what is going on in your case. For example, you have said that you want the From address to be different than the actual account you use to receive the message. This can be the case if you have an email alias that you want to use. I have an "info" account like that. The question is, do you have just one alias or multiple aliases?

Another issue is how your email rules are setup. If you have rules that automatically move messages into local mailboxes, this can cause problems replying to messages in Mountain Lion.

Depending on your answers, you can turn preference settings on or off to get the behaviour you want.

Oct 30, 2012 11:03 PM in response to etresoft

I hope this clarifies how my mail is configured:

I have a number of accounts that I use for personal email, bills email, and a few others. I also have a work account workname@work.org. It's a non-profit gig so they email does not have much storage, so I created a Gmail account workname.work@gmail.com and forward my work emails to it. I configured Mail to use the work SMTP server to send messages from the Gmail account.

In the web Gmail interface, everything works smoothly. In Mail, even if the message was sent to workname@work.org, Mail replies show up with workname.work@gmail.com in the "From:" field, even if that message wasn't moved, contrary to what has been pointed out by Barney (unless I am totally missing something). I also set up a rule for redirecting Sent messages to Gmail and moving the original copies to Trash on the work account. In Lion, all was well and the replies indicated workname@work.org in the "From:" field and when I manually applied the rule to the Sent messages, they were sent to the Gmail account. In Mountain Lion, not so. I've looked at some of the discussion you linked (thank you for that) and found it enlighening, though I am not done reading all of it yet.

What I do now is not forward work email and keep the daily workflow focused on the Inbox of the workname@work.org account, which handles replies appropriately. I then set up a rule to redirect any mail from the work account that is over a day old to the Gmail account. I then organize it on the web interface (which is not optimal, but cuts down my time spent on the web interface from "always" to once daily or so).

If you need more clarification, let me know. Though I think that ML is behaving in a way that is not convenient and I don't see a way to create a hack to fix it. It seems like it would be an easy feature to add, but who knows what Apple folks are thinking...

Oct 31, 2012 4:59 AM in response to spiritofdiscovery

What you are describing is what is known as "articulation work". To quote Suchman, "'Articulation work' names the continuous efforts required in order to bring together discontinuous elements - of organizations, of professional practices, of technologies - into working configurations". That makes it sound better than it is.

Ideally, your non-profit needs a decent webhost like Dreamhost that can transparently integrate with Google Mail and make the whole problem go away.

asmystiq wrote:

I configured Mail to use the work SMTP server to send messages from the Gmail account.

This is what is known as e-mail spoofing.

In the web Gmail interface, everything works smoothly.

Yes. Google is known for ignoring laws and facilitating any kind of network traffic, legitimate or not, in order to track activity and build value for its advertising business.

In Mail, even if the message was sent to workname@work.org, Mail replies show up with workname.work@gmail.com in the "From:" field

Yes. That is the way it is supposed to work.

I also set up a rule for redirecting Sent messages to Gmail and moving the original copies to Trash on the work account. In Lion, all was well and the replies indicated workname@work.org in the "From:" field and when I manually applied the rule to the Sent messages, they were sent to the Gmail account.

That's the "articulation work" in action.

I've looked at some of the discussion you linked (thank you for that) and found it enlighening, though I am not done reading all of it yet.

There are a number of different issues going on. Modern e-mail is extraordinarily complicated.

What I do now is not forward work email and keep the daily workflow focused on the Inbox of the workname@work.org account, which handles replies appropriately. I then set up a rule to redirect any mail from the work account that is over a day old to the Gmail account. I then organize it on the web interface (which is not optimal, but cuts down my time spent on the web interface from "always" to once daily or so).

You could probably improve that by creating folders in GMail from within Apple Mail. Once you move an old message from the work server to GMail where you have more room, you can have additional rules to move it around within GMail.

The only real, definitive solution is to have more room for e-mail. You should contact your system administrator and suggest switching to GMail or Microsoft's version. Everyone hates dealing with e-mail. That is why these transparent e-mail services are so popular. Once it gets setup, all the magic happens in the name servers and all anyone ever sees is "work.org". Plus, you will likely gain some additional functionality that Microsoft Exchange supports that older systems do not.

In the interim, the best solution is to show the "Reply-to:" field and put your "workname@work.org" address in there. Replies will be directed to that address but you will still have to move everything around after receipt. You should be able to configure your "work.org" e-mail system to automatically forward all you rmail to the GMail account. Combined with "Reply-to:", that is about as good as it is going to get.

If you need more clarification, let me know. Though I think that ML is behaving in a way that is not convenient and I don't see a way to create a hack to fix it. It seems like it would be an easy feature to add, but who knows what Apple folks are thinking...

What you have described is e-mail spoofing and Apple doesn't support that. No legitimate internet e-mail provider should support it. If Google does, then that is Google's problem. Most other e-mail servers would not allow that and that is why Apple doesn't support it. And, in general, Apple software is simply not very amenable to "hacks".

I have though about writing an Apple Mail plugin to automatically add a "Reply-to:" to certain e-mail messages. It will be a few months before I get time for that, so don't hold your breath.

Feb 18, 2013 8:43 PM in response to spiritofdiscovery

i found out how to do this finally!

1) set up google gmail account to forward your emails to (from the abc@businessxyz.com)

2) go to your gmail account

3) go to settings (cog in right hand corner)

4) go to 'accounts and import'

5) go to 'send mail as'

6) click 'Add another email address you own' - add your abc@businessxyz.com address

7) google will send a verification email with code to that email address.

8) enter code

9) go back to gmail account >'send mail as' and select 'make default'

10) close mac 'mail' program and reopen it.

as long as you have gmail account selected as the primary account in MAIL - mail will now come throught as being sent from that abc@businessxyz.com address!!

Jan 14, 2016 11:25 AM in response to spiritofdiscovery

I also want to customize my FROM field - but differently...

I have 7 email accounts being managed through MacMail on my MacBook Pro

For some reason I have the REALLY bad habit to not always looking at/seeing the FROM field when I'm answering or composing new mails... too many mails at once... too much of hurry... So I'm constantly sending mails from wrong accounts... and it's driving me nuts...

Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love to find a way to MOVE UP the FROM field to above the TO field and/or color it and its contents RED and/or increase its font size (anything to highlight it to say "don't forget me") - or even better to find a way to select FROM after pressing SEND (ie a prompt like "you have pressed SEND, from which account do you want to send from?")

Is there anything that can be done?

H

Jan 14, 2016 4:49 PM in response to etresoft

I also want to customize my FROM field - but differently...

I have 7 email accounts being managed through MacMail on my MacBook Pro

For some reason I have the REALLY bad habit to not always looking at/seeing the FROM field when I'm answering or composing new mails... too many mails at once... too much of hurry... So I'm constantly sending mails from wrong accounts... and it's driving me nuts...

Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love to find a way to MOVE UP the FROM field to above the TO field and/or color it and its contents RED and/or increase its font size (anything to highlight it to say "don't forget me") - or even better to find a way to select FROM after pressing SEND (ie a prompt like "you have pressed SEND, from which account do you want to send from?")

Is there anything that can be done?

H

Apple Mail "From:" Field Customization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.