Skip navigation

My ibook G3 won't connect to my wireless network

1659 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2012 9:05 PM by XT_ RSS
tesnus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 27, 2012 6:38 PM

My network password is not accepted, I have set encryption to WPA only.  Downloaded Airport 3.3 but won't install; says Airport is up to date; System Profiler says Airport 2.0.4, Airport Admin Utility 2.0.4 and Airport Setup Utility 2.0.4 are installed; also Airport Admin Utility 4.1.1 and Airport Setup Assistant 4.1.1.  Any ideas? 

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), g3 500mhz, 320mb, 80gb hd, airport
  • a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,010 points)
    Nov 3, 2012 4:44 PM (in response to tesnus)

Alas, the older iBooks can't support better than WPA1 with the built-in Airport.  Most networks are WPA2 because of their better encryption. Best to get an WiFi 802.11g or better Ethernet bridge and connect the iBook by that bridge if you want to hook up to a more secure network.

• XT_ Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    Nov 3, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to tesnus)

Make sure the Router is set to Mixed mode, not set to "G" or "N" only. This will allow the older 11mbps airport  card in the iBook to connect using Wireless "B"

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,010 points)
    Nov 3, 2012 8:18 PM (in response to XT_)

Unfortunately that is hardly more secure than having no password at all, because WPA1 and WEP's encryption has already been hacked.  You might as well have mixed mode with no encryption at all if you are in a place that has no one visiting within 1500 feet.

• XT_ Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    Nov 3, 2012 9:05 PM (in response to a brody)

I agree with what you said. WEP is pointless, might as well have no encryption at all. I also remember seeing an article on Slashdot where WPA was cracked in 60 seconds, Scary... I have a older iBook G3 that I like to tinker with that has Tiger like the person above, mine just having a faster processor and more ram (600mhz, 640mb maxed out) My router is set to WPA2 Personal with TKIP+AES, and set to mixed mode to allow my older devices to connect. Since WPA2 is backwards compatible with WPA, as long as I don't set my Router to G or N only, my older Devices can connect. I wonder how long it will be till WPA2 is cracked, if it hasn't been already.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.