Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my Time Machine Backups has no "Library" Folder

Hi, I have recently needed a hard drive replacement and thats all done but I did a migration transfer which went well, but my Application data has not been restored. Obviously I knew that the Library folder has not been restored and there is no way I can access it.

Things I tried:

Access the Normal Library Folder on theMac and press the time machine app. But there is no previous windows (or dates) I can select from, just the current display

Terminal command of showing hidden files, I go to my time machine backup into /User/Marc and see all these hidden files, Library not one of them

Terminal Command using cd and open . but says "No such file or directory exists" (the directory was cd (drag "Marc" user folder to terminal) + /Library

I have been backing up since 2009 and I dont see why wouldnt time machine backup the Library Folder?!

If you think there is some hope, please let me know

Thanks!

Marc

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:39 PM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Marc180292

Marc180292 wrote:

I have tried this before as stated, all the "time lapse" windows behind it are empty as in silver windows to indicate there are no previous dates

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying. Time Machine definitely backs up your library folder. I don't know what you mean by "silver windows to indicate there are no previous dates". When I enter Time Machine from my user Library folder, this is what I see:

User uploaded file

No data is indicated by black windows.

Nov 19, 2012 8:22 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi... I was searching the forum for a similar question.

Though I don't have any issues as of now, I observe the following in my backup.

I don't have the users\library in the exclude list. However, when I browse through my backups (using Finder) I don't see the Library folder. If I use the Alt+GO menu and click on Library it only shows my \users\library from the laptop and not from the timemachine backups.

Can I remain calm assuming that if at all I need to restore the backups, I'd get my library back after restoring?

Thanks for your advice.

Dharma

I think my Time Machine Backups has no "Library" Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.