Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next 69 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 2:16 PM by fmhansen Go to original post
  • eborus Level 1 Level 1

    I've just had a call from a senior engineer, they are expecting a version of 10.8.2, that is compatible with the new Mac Mini and my MBP 13.3" retina, "Very Soon". 


    Impossible to pin down on timescales, as you can imagine they don't want to release another duff version, but I surmise that within a week would not be unreasonable. 

  • Douglas Parks Level 1 Level 1

    Seeing another oddity that I think may be attributed to this.  When going into System Preferences to change my desktop wallpaper it hangs up with the spinning wheel of death.  All other functions in the panel work just fine.  So now I get that lovely shade of grey as a background on my newly outdated machine.  Still no update although I see that there was a new 10.8.2 update released yesterday.  If I could only get to 10.8.2!

  • ScreaminEagle03 Level 1 Level 1

    The update is now available from Apple...


  • Douglas Parks Level 1 Level 1

    You will get the same results.  Since the disk is at 10.8.11 it will not apply.

  • thetrent Level 1 Level 1

    This is pretty SAD!


    New Mac MINI - 2.3 i7 chip -


    Can not update -same as you


    Two "Senior Engineers"  - refused to take my call, the first level guy was great ..  I showed him the articles - first level guy believed there is a larger issue here  - ( previously - i worked with 3 different 1st level support folks)


    The next level guys - refused my call.  Stated that since no "Offical Senior Engineer" had commented on this thread, or any other thread simular - this means absolutely nothing.


    Whats funny - I bought a mac mini at 9:30 am today.  After seeing iPhoto would not update because 10.8.2 was required - i attempted to look for the .2 update.  It wasnt in any option - Manually downloaded the update - and it would not apply because it says the volume is not supported.  After attempting to start in safe mode, add another user finally tried to reinstall osx.  Status bar said it would take 2 hours and 30 mins.  2 hours and 15 minutes later - status bar read: 2 hours and 30 mins.  Frustrated - returned it to the store - now there is a wait since everyone is there -


    Got a another new mini - powered it up - same issue -


    No resolution -


    Senior Engineers discounted this thread and many like it on and cnet - as it means nothing -


    So no solution in sight - but its something obviously with the code on these new macs - or the macs on the apples side -  ect -


    This was the worst experience i have had with Mac - i own 5 - and the iphone 4g issue .. returned three times - I hope this isnt a trend with future mac products ...   i switched to mac back in 2006 to avoid these types of issues.  Maybe the great stable days are long gone - 

  • UrielGarciaC Level 1 Level 1

    Just like my Story , also on the Phone line =(,


    First bad experience on Mac World since 2007 =(.


    Bought on Friday Mac mini Quad i7 2.3 ,


    1) No Update (okay, ok, I could wait , but HDMI)


    2) HDMI video literally useless, seems to be an OSX driver issue , windows on mac mini colors work fine no snow also.


    Also on the line.... wating for some words about this.

  • Douglas Parks Level 1 Level 1

    Well here I am a week later with no fix in sight.  I have now officially had to turn away business since I can not use Aperture or iPhoto to process my raw photos.  If you are seeing this Apple if there is no fix by the beginning of the week I will be forced to return this hardware as the money pit keeps sucking in my dollars.  Please expedite this fix!

  • Douglas Parks Level 1 Level 1

    By the way, on the CNET post I saw this.  While I will not risk it, appears that the pulled download is on a mirror someehwere


    • For those of you who are tired of waiting, you can download the update that was pulled here. Many have used this with no issues (and there is a supplemental update patch that will be installed from the app store after you do). Of course we have no idea why it was pulled but the timeline is getting ridiculous

  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10

    Hi, can't you install the older versions of each that don't require 10.8.2?

  • Douglas Parks Level 1 Level 1

    Unfortunately not.  Since the older mac I have was already running 10.8.2 the photo database has been "upgraded" and will not be supported in an older version of Aperture/iPhoto.  Catch 22.

  • neemtree Level 1 Level 1

    thanks for the link to mirror of 10.8.2. I took deliver of my 2.3 i7 mini more than a week ago and was tired of waiting. Downloaded the update from softpedia and followed with the supplemental update via appstore. Everything went without a hitch. Much appreciated.

  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10

    Ah, I see... Apple breaking things again.

  • PackDude Level 1 Level 1

    The question is, what will installing that patch affect when Apple finally releases their updated version of the 10.8.2 update?  It would be nice to know why they pulled it.  I think most people are assuming that it has to do with the HDMI issue that the new Mac mini's are also experiencing, but it would be nice to hear from Apple.  Two big issues with a new product and not a peep from them.

  • DLDante Level 1 Level 1

    I went ahead and installed the 10.8.2 update from that CNet link. I was afraid too at first since there's obviously something wrong with the update or they wouldn't have pulled it. But, in the end, I figured it couldn't be any worse than all of the problems I was having with 10.8.1. So I backed up my drive and went for it.


    The update went smoothly and I was then able to apply the supplemental update through the App Store. So far I haven't encountered any new issues since updating. It doesn't fix the HDMI color issue but it does seem to fix the problem with my Logitech Unifying Receiver losing it's connection every time the machine goes to sleep. That alone made the upgrade worth it since I was having to unplug and replug the receiver each time I wanted to use the computer again. I'm also able to access iPhoto again; another huge plus.


    Since the update was live for a few days before being pulled I'm assuming there are quite a few folks running the "bad" 10.8.2 on their minis and the "good" version will account for this and make the necessary corrections when it's finally released. Then again, I also assumed the HDMI port on this machine would be tested to be working before hitting the shelves, so who knows? I'll report back if anything crazy happens with the "bad" version of 10.8.2, but so far so good. At least this makes waiting for the good one a bit more tolerable.

  • neemtree Level 1 Level 1

    Yes, it would be nice to know why they pulled it. Apple definitely needs to improve their communication with the tech savvy segment of their customer base. I doubt the HDMI issue is an OS problem and I'm sure it existed under 10.8.1 as well. (I haven't tested HDMI on my mini as I use thunderbolt/display port to my monitor.) In any case, why would Apple also deny rMBP owners the option to update if the issue were limited to the mini? I'm sure there are a number of mini's that were updated before Apple pulled 10.8.2 on Nov 15 or 16 and the vast majority of those users are not experiencing problems.


    In any case, so far so good with the update I installed. And while waiting for 10.8.3 I won't be locked out of installing app updates.