Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about connecting Novation impulse 25 MIDI keyboard to Garageband Via Abelton Live lite 8

I am struggling to understand how to get my Novation Impulse MIDI controller keyboard working with Garageband via the software that came with it.

I have installed: Bass Station VST 2.4, Automap 4. Something and Abelton Live lite8.

Could some kind soul give me a 1 or 2 line about what Bass Station, Automap and Abelton Live (lite8 or Live 9) actually is. (What is does)

Please avoid abbreviations as I'm a novice in this area.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:33 PM

9 replies

Oct 28, 2012 10:36 AM in response to animist08

animist08 wrote:

... I want the benefit of Abelton's Live compositional software ...

Ableton Live is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Garageband is also. They approach composition very differently. They both however use pluggins like bass station.

animist08 wrote:

I want ... more control over plug-ins.

Garageband needs the AU (Audio Unit) version installed as it cannot use VST's. There will be neither more nor less access to pluggins between Live or Garageband.

Garageband cannot use MIDI contollers anywhere near as well as Ableton can. Its just not built to do so.

Oct 28, 2012 3:04 PM in response to gjmnz

At this stage I'm just learning DAW technology with a basic DAW like Garageband.

Considering Live8 lite (supplied with Novation Impulse 25) is a DAW I thought best to use it just for creating chords and other sounds.

I know I can connect my MIDI controller keyboard direct to GarageBand but, as others have pointed out, with a lot of limitation.

To avoid any confusion I probably should upgrade to Live9 if that's what other community members use?

Confused about connecting Novation impulse 25 MIDI keyboard to Garageband Via Abelton Live lite 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.