Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlist Doesn't Sync Correctly With iPhone

I have a smart playlist that has 50 songs in it. When I sync my iPhone to my computer, the counts are updated, and iTunes changes the songs in the playlist based on if they were played. New songs upload to the iPhone, but when the sync is complete, the iPhone reverts back to the original songs that were on the playlist beforehand. Resyncing, no songs are uploaded to the iPhone. I've tried deleting the old playlist, syncing, then making a new one with the same name, and then syncing again, but that one ended up having that same old 50 songs in it even though I watched it upload the new songs! My only solution has been to use a plain playlist and change it all the time, but that defeats the purpose of a live updating smart playlist. How can I fix this?

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 2:56 AM

15 replies

Oct 29, 2012 3:31 PM in response to turingtest2

Ok--I backed up my iPhone today, and then clicked Restore. After a lengthy process, the original smart playlist was still there with all of the original songs.

On a whim, I decided to play it. It did remove all the songs that I played on my iPhone. I synced the iPhone to iTunes. All of the original songs appeared again. Just to be completely clear, I verified that the songs on the iTunes smart playlist were uploaded to my iPhone. Regardless, the original songs and list just refuse to go away.

I made a new smart playlist with identical conditions with a new name--"Lengthy Car Drives." I also synced that smart playlist to my phone in addition to Christian Rock Mix which still exists. Both lists have the exact same songs listed in them in the exact same order on my iPhone even though in iTunes they have completely different songs.

I'm really not sure what to make of all this.

Oct 29, 2012 5:16 PM in response to whereswayno

I have since made more smart playlists and synced them to my iPhone. The results are disastrous.

Genre contains Christian Rock, Rating is more than **: Same old playlist

Genre contains Christian Rock, Grouping does not contain Instrumental: Many of the same songs as the original playlist, but has some different ones. However, the iTunes playlist and the iPhone playlist do not match.

Genre contains Christian Rock: The smart playlist on my phone is alphabetized, but my iTunes list is not. Also, although many of the songs are on both lists, they are not identical.

Artist contains Starfield: playlists are identical. This one worked.

Genre contains Alternative: The lists are not identical. Both lists have a few of the same songs. When they do, the songs are played first to last and are sometimes skipped with other songs inbetween. For example: iTunes has A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J. iPhone has A, B, X, X, X, D, E, X, H, J; where X is a song that isn't included in the iTunes List.

I think this shows that the problem is somehow related to the Genre field.

Nov 29, 2012 1:23 PM in response to diesel vdub

diesel vdub wrote:

Have you actually reported it to Apple? Posting to these forums does not count as Apple does not monitor them.

Unless and until it is reported, there is not logical expectation that it can be or will be fixed.

In order to get any support from Apple, it seems that I'm required to pay them a minimum $19.00 fee in order for them to listen to me. They obviously think I'm a buffoon and am requesting support for something that is easily fixable.

Nov 29, 2012 1:45 PM in response to whereswayno

If you can document the bug and reproduce it reliably, even in a new test library, then create a free Apple Developer Connections account and submit a formal bug report. "It's not working the way I think it should" isn't enough. To fix something "easily fixable" it must first be recognized as a problem and then indeed, be easy to fix. My guess is that focus is given to things that are well documented, reproducible, and affect many users.

tt2

Nov 29, 2012 8:57 PM in response to whereswayno

I finally was able to talk to someone in Tech Support and they graciously gave me a one-time-only free call. After about 1 1/2 hours on the phone, plus restoring my phone as a new phone, nothing worked.

After that, we made a new user account on my computer, imported the songs from my 1st user account into a new library on the 2nd user account in iTunes, and made a new playlist which we synced to the phone. Then we went back to my 1st user account on my computer and resynced my playlists and everything worked as it was intended to work. Apparently my smart playlist was dynamically changing the songs on iTunes on the 1st user account even though I didn't give it an instruction to do that. We think that had something to do with it. Live updating was another factor to this, but it's hazy how. Even the tech guy was just making guesses.

Evidently making this new user account on my computer, a new library, and syncing a new playlist from the new library on a new user account, and then going back to all my old stuff fixed this mess. I'm going to sit on this one for awhile and make sure that it stays fixed, but at this point, I'm pretty hopeful.

Smart Playlist Doesn't Sync Correctly With iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.