Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it feasible/cost effective to upgrade my G5, 2 GHz Dual PowerPC processors, 2 GB DDR SDRAM to an Intel system? There are no updates for PowerPC systems any longer.

Is it feasible/cost effective to upgrade my current MAC G5, dual 2GHz powerPC, 2GB DDR SDRAM, running OS 10.4.1.1 to an Intel board & processor(s)? Power PC G5 no longer has updates available. Things such as the newest version of Flash require an intel system.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

ssbrown

Power MAC G5-OTHER, iOS 4.1, ATI Radeon 9650 Display,

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:29 AM

2 replies

Oct 28, 2012 1:50 PM in response to ssbrown

Well you can upgrade your 10.4.11 G5 to 10.5.8. But you lose Classic, and don't gain any Boot Camp capability. Only Intel Macs have Boot Camp, and still no Classic. You also have be mindful, if you buy too new, you won't have Rosetta capability which allows PowerPC applications to run on Intel Macs that were designed for Mac OS X. Macs that ship with 10.7 or newer have no PowerPC support for applications or drivers. See this user tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

Is it feasible/cost effective to upgrade my G5, 2 GHz Dual PowerPC processors, 2 GB DDR SDRAM to an Intel system? There are no updates for PowerPC systems any longer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.