Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Open with..."

I have the following problem: right clicking on a file and selecting "Open with..." displays after some wait ( and the spinning beach ball )

a long list of possible programs BUT each one numerous times.

How do I remove the the repetitions ?

Somebody suggested to use the following terminal command but it didn't help:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/L aunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain system -domain local -domain user

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:55 AM

3 replies

Dec 11, 2012 10:34 PM in response to Michael Schulz

I am having the same problem and it is very annoying and frustrating the insanity out of me.

Been going on for like 2 months now. Any time I click open with i get the spinning beach ball and slower is slow to respond and not acting like normal.

I tried everything including running the frameworks thing but I cant get it to go away.

Should i start up in disk recovery mode and re-install my OS?

Will this delete all my application preferences/settings and make me enter new serials again?

"Open with..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.