Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail not showing all the messages?

In Apple mail, for my icloud account, I have some mailboxes which show the wrong number of messages, it shows too few.

As an example, a mailbox contains 150 messages, but apple mail reports there are only 146.

I rebuilt the mailbox and let apple mail do its thing. In the activity window I can see there are 150 messages. Yet, once apple mail has finished rebuilding the mailbox, it still tells me there are 146 messages. What's going wrong? Why would apple mail not show all the messages while in the activity window it clearly shows it knows there are 150?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:37 PM

Solved!

This was too weird to be real. Apple mail does not show messages it believes to be duplicates, and buy, does it make big mistakes in deciding what are duplicate messages and what not! Some of my mailboxes had over 100 "duplicates" not showing according to apple mail.

I found a solution thanks to this topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3755752?answerId=18265121022#18265121022

defaults delete com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates

does yield an error in 10.8.2 ( Domain (com.apple.mail) not found. Defaults have not been changed. )

defaults write com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool true

Does work brilliantly though!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2012 3:37 PM in response to The Wine Bug

Solved!

This was too weird to be real. Apple mail does not show messages it believes to be duplicates, and buy, does it make big mistakes in deciding what are duplicate messages and what not! Some of my mailboxes had over 100 "duplicates" not showing according to apple mail.

I found a solution thanks to this topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3755752?answerId=18265121022#18265121022

defaults delete com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates

does yield an error in 10.8.2 ( Domain (com.apple.mail) not found. Defaults have not been changed. )

defaults write com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool true

Does work brilliantly though!

Apple mail not showing all the messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.