Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse not highlighting

I have intermittent trouble highlighting text in Microsoft Word 14.2 using the Magic Mouse. I’m running OS 10.8.2 on a MacBook Pro (retina display). The same problem is not when I use the trackpad or other mice and I don’t have a problem using the Magic Mouse and Excel or Powerpoint.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 11:07 PM

It looks like a problem with your mouse. If the central button contact is stuck, the selection in Microsoft Word and Excel doesn't work properly (although it works in other apps, including Powerpoint).

Check that all mouse buttons are working properly. Il you use a wireless mouse with a USB dongle, make sure to disconnect it or to switch off your mouse before trying another mouse.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2014 11:07 PM in response to maximillion82

It looks like a problem with your mouse. If the central button contact is stuck, the selection in Microsoft Word and Excel doesn't work properly (although it works in other apps, including Powerpoint).

Check that all mouse buttons are working properly. Il you use a wireless mouse with a USB dongle, make sure to disconnect it or to switch off your mouse before trying another mouse.

Mar 13, 2014 7:51 PM in response to Joel Lexchin

This issue still persists. Just bought a new 21.5 inch iMac and using the most current version of MS Word (2011 for Mac) and I'm having frustrating attempts at highlighting text, and even double-clicking words. I have a Magic Mouse, and it was never an issue with my older iMac which had the older mouse connected via USB. This is happening about 45% of the time I attempt to highlight text and it's driving me insane. I seem to only encounter the issue in MS Word. Other apps don't seem to be affected.

Mar 14, 2014 1:36 PM in response to seventy one

@seventy one and @WFred:

This issue was never present until I purchased a new iMac with OS X Mavericks. I was on a 2007 (purchased in 2008) iMac previously running the latest OS X Mountain Lion--without any such issue.

I'm not having this issue anywhere except for MS Word, and now too with Excel--so it seems the MS Office (I'm running MS Office 2011 for Mac) is the only culprit.

Seems I do not have this issue with any of my other apps: Adobe Creative Suite 5 (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.). I also just experimented with Pages which does not have this issue either. My browser text does not have issues either (Safari and/or Firefox).

So it's only with MS Office apps it seems.

Jun 30, 2014 8:44 AM in response to seventy one

The problem is Microsoft Office for the Mac. The program is extremely poorly programmed. I have the same issue with my Magic Mouse and Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The programs are also very unstable and drain the battery of my 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Office for Mac is very slow and sluggish, and tends to crash often. My recommendation is to avoid it as much as possible, Microsoft did a very poor job with the Mac version of Office.

Magic mouse not highlighting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.