Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen temperature changes when I launch some apps

I have a problem. It started when I switched to an SSD and changed the RAM, but I think it's a software issue. It stopped for a while and then cambe back again.

Basically when I start some apps (and not everytime, sometimes it does sometime it doesn't), like Byword, Lightroom, Keynote, Pixelmator, Pages, for example, but never Safari to name one, the screen temperature suddenly changes to a colder tone. When I close all these apps the screen turns back to the normal warm temp.

Running the console I think I have found the issue is related with this message, which pops in when I open and close these apps:

User uploaded file

10/28/12 10:37:39.217 PM WindowServer[75]: Received display connect changed for display 0x4272dc0

I'm posting two photos from my camera to make you see the problem, as it doesn' obviously show in screenshots:

Warm:

User uploaded file

Cold:

User uploaded file

Does anyone know hot solve this or to what it might be related (video card is what comes to my mind, but I refuse to aknwledge that my hard drive, RAM and video card failed at the same time)?

Thanks

(Also my Mac takes 30s+ to go to sleep)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 2:50 PM

3 replies

Dec 6, 2012 2:41 PM in response to jasonfweb

I have the excact same problem. It occours when I open color managing apps like Photoshop, Bridge and any RAW converter. What I have narrowed it down to is that it has something to do with an external monitor and/or a custom color profile. Whenever I'm connected to my NEC monitor there's no problem, it's only when my MBP is stand-alone.

And yes my MBP suddenly also takes a long time to shut down...

Feb 12, 2013 6:56 PM in response to jasonfweb

This sounds like an issue with the System Management Controller (SMC). 1). Shutdown your MacBook Pro, 2). Make sure the MagSafe adapter is connected, 3). Press and hold the LEFT Option+Control+Shift keys on the MacBook Pro keyboard, 4). While still holding the previous keys, hit the power button in the top right corner. It won't look like your Mac did anything, but trust me, it did. You just reset the SMC. Now boot the Mac normally. Wait for it to fully boot-up, and then see if this is still an issue. I had this very same issue on my MacBook Pro after the latest SMC update, and resetting the SMC fixed it.

My screen temperature changes when I launch some apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.