Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2008 Can't start Windows 7 / 8 Installer

I'm trying to load Windows 8 (And have previously tried everything with Windows 7) on my Mac Pro early 2008 with Mountain Lion, and cannot get the installers to initiate.

When I start the bootcamp assistant and reboot, my mac freezes before ever getting to the installer. When I reboot and hold option to manually select the installer, it freezes as soon as I select it. I've tried this from a DVD, USB, and even an install partition i setup on my HD, all with the same freezing results. This is a legitimate copy of Windows 8 system builder I'm working with and have installed it perfectly in Parallels.

I should note I upgraded my video card a long time ago to a gt 120, so I'm wondering if the video card might be the problem. I've installed Windows 7 with this video card in the past so I'm guessing this is a Mountain Lion/Bootcamp 5 issue.

Has anyone else with a Mac Pro 2008 succesfully installed Windows 7/8 from Mountain Lion/Bootcamp 5?

Any input would be immensely appreciated!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 6:26 PM

4 replies

Oct 28, 2012 6:32 PM in response to palestblue

There are no Windows 8 Bootcamp drivers. Windows 8 is not supported.

Use Parallels or Fusion to install Windows 8. By doing so you eliminate the need for drivers since the virtual machine creates virtual hardware and drivers.

Once the Windows 8 Bootcamp drivers are developed and released you can then install using Bootcamp Assistant.

Read this forum. Some people are posting that they had some success with the Bootcamp install. but if you have to rely on your computer then don't take the chance.

Oct 28, 2012 6:40 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for the reply. I'm having the exact same issues with the Windows 7 installer freezing, so this is not just a Windows 8 issue. I don't think it's really a driver issue as it won't even get past the Mac boot option screen, unless of course it's a problem with the gt120 not being supported. The strange thing is that I've installed Windows 7 in the past with all of the same hardware with Snow Leopard and Lion.

Mac Pro 2008 Can't start Windows 7 / 8 Installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.