Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) doesn't see HP1200 Printer over network

Hopefully somebody can shed some light here -- I have an HP LaserJet 1200 on my ethernet LAN. Have never had any problems setting it up to print using earlier versions of Mac OS or ever Windows ⚠ -- however as fas as Mountain Lion is concerned the printer doesn't exist. I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers from HP, restarted machine, etc to no avail. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to make 10.8 see the printer across the room?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:04 PM

For the Mac to see the printer on the network, it would have to support an advertising protocol like Bonjour. From some of the information I could find on this model, it appears to be an old printer and may not support Bonjour, but may have supported AppleTalk, another advertising protocol that was last supported on Leopard (10.5). So instead of trying to find it on the network, if you know the printers IP address, you can add it to the Mac by selecting IP > HP Jetdirect-Socket for the protocol.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2012 10:04 PM in response to mikehenden

For the Mac to see the printer on the network, it would have to support an advertising protocol like Bonjour. From some of the information I could find on this model, it appears to be an old printer and may not support Bonjour, but may have supported AppleTalk, another advertising protocol that was last supported on Leopard (10.5). So instead of trying to find it on the network, if you know the printers IP address, you can add it to the Mac by selecting IP > HP Jetdirect-Socket for the protocol.

Oct 29, 2012 1:02 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks for your comments Pahu. You're quite right, it is an old printer (thought HP says it will work with later version of Mac OS including OS 10.8). I did think that printing over IP would be the best way to go. However I've looked in forums, etc and can't find a way to get an IP address for it. Do you have any sugestions?

Oct 29, 2012 1:52 AM in response to mikehenden

OK. Using an online tutorial and a venerable Win XP laptop I was able to drill down to the IP address for the printer. I set up the IP information in settings/print and scan/IP Printer in OS X 10.8. At the time I was advised that Mac OS couldn't see the printer and did I still want to set it up (I said yes). Went to test it and sure enough -- it can't see the printer... did I miss something?

Went over it again -- I'd missed the JetDirect Socket protocol. However even using this I still had the same result... ie nada, nyet, nothing...

Oct 29, 2012 2:20 AM in response to mikehenden

Are you able to print to the LJ1200 from the XP laptop? If yes, then we can check what it uses to connect to the printer. On XP, open Printers and Faxes and select the HP. The right click and select Properties. From the next window, select Ports and then click Configure. This will show what protocol is being used other settings that may help.

Oct 29, 2012 10:21 PM in response to mikehenden

mikehenden wrote:

Yes, XP box will print with no problems. The 'Properties' index was where I got the IP address from. Have looked at the 'ports' tab, have a port number and see that the protocol is 'Raw'. SNMP status is enabled and SNMP devide index is 1. Does this mean anything to you?

Yes it does. XP is using RAW Port 9100 to connect, which is called HP Jetdirect-Socket on OS X. Given that you have already tried creating a printer queue using HP Jetdirect and this did not work, there must be something else that you need to do.

It also sounds odd that the configuration page you printed does not show an IP address set in the printer. Does the Ethernet cable connect directly to the LJ1200, or is there some type of adaptor between the Ethernet and printer?

Oct 29, 2012 11:20 PM in response to mikehenden

mikehenden wrote:

So if we have an IP address and JetDirect, what's the missing piece?

A couple of things come to mind.

One is that we may need to specify a queue. With reference to XP again, there would have been a port number set for RAW Settings. Was this 9100 or some other number, like 9101?

The other thing is the printer driver. If the port set in XP is 9100, then add the printer again using HP Jetdirect-Socket, but select Generic Postscript in the Use menu. If that does not print, then delete this printer and create again, but this time selected Generic PCL Laser in the Use menu.

Oct 29, 2012 11:53 PM in response to PAHU

Port on the XP box is 9100. Have just attempted again using Generic PostScript Printer (I did download the new HP drivers yesterday, which included LJ1200 drivers) but got same result:

Unable to verify the printer on your network.

Unable to conect to '192.168.1.48' due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?

How would we specify a queue? Right now that field is blank (default)?

???!!

Oct 30, 2012 12:03 AM in response to mikehenden

mikehenden wrote:

Unable to verify the printer on your network.

Unable to conect to '192.168.1.48' due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?

If you click OK (or whatever is shown) to still create the printer, what happens when you print to this queue?

mikehenden wrote:

How would we specify a queue? Right now that field is blank (default)?

???!!

If XP is showing 9100 then you don't need any additional info here. It can be left blank.

Oct 30, 2012 12:13 AM in response to PAHU

If I click OK, nothing happens.

Interesting development -- I've been checking the XP box -- deleted the printer and went to re-install it (thought this woudl confirm the IP address) and it is now telling me that the "Printer Name is Invalid"...

However the printer IS on the network as the G5 I have sitting actoss the room (OS X 10.4.11 Tiger) CAN see it and print to it... what gives??!

Oct 30, 2012 12:26 AM in response to mikehenden

I would expect that the G5 with 10.4.11 is using AppleTalk to communicate with the printer.

So this latest issue with XP not working explains the issue with the 10.8 Mac. Do you know how to get a network configuration print from the Jetdirect print server? Sometimes there is a button you can press. If not, then hopefully Shlomi will return with this info, as I have very limited experience with HP products.

Oct 30, 2012 12:33 AM in response to PAHU

Again you've hit the nail on the head! Yes, the G5 IS using AppleTalk.

This, however, does not explain why the XP box that used to print over the same network now can't... ShlomiL did explan how to press the 'Go' button on the printer to produce a configuration page, unfortunately this does not include any TCP/IP information... but thanks again for your help, it is appreciated...

Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) doesn't see HP1200 Printer over network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.