Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook Author created works not showing DEFINE feature in iBooks 3 upgrade.

I noticed that ALL iBooks will not show definitions anymore when you touch a word in the text. This is happening since I upgraded to iBooks 3. Anyone else seeing strange anomalies like this? Also, if you have two or more PROOFS you are working on in iBooks Author, when PREVIEW function is selected, sometimes another book cover will open. Strange.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 500GB HD; 8GB RAM; iPad2 64GB

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:47 PM

3 replies

Oct 29, 2012 12:22 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

No actually, this is wrong. iBooks (2,3, whatever) comes with the ability to look up word definitions already built in (there is no need to download a separate dictionary file or app).

Open any .epub (e.g. public domain collection of the works of Shakespeare or Conan Doyle.) Tap on a word and you will see the following pop-up menu

Copy | Define | Highlight | Note | Search | Share

HOWEVER, if you open ANY book created with iBook Author (i.e. an .iba file) this function NO LONGER appears in iBooks 3 (i.e. the new version released earlier in September). This is a serious error and I am surprised no one has noticed it before. I am still searching other discussions.

The other glitch in iBooks 3 is if you have created two or more iBook "Proofs" (using iBook Author, they show up on your bookshelf with a blue ribbon that says "Proof"), when you Preview one title, sometimes another title's cover will actually open instead of the "proper" one. The book is the same, just the wrong cover opens and closes.

Very interesting. I appreciate any guidance the crew out there can offer. Thx!

iBook Author created works not showing DEFINE feature in iBooks 3 upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.