Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up data stored on time capsule to an external drive

I have a 2TB time capsule and I want to store data on the time capsule itself. What I want to know is how can I set up my time machine to back up the data on the time capsule? I have a 3TB drive that I want to plug into my Macbook Pro and have it back up the computer and the data on the Time Ca

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 11:14 PM

6 replies

Oct 28, 2012 11:27 PM in response to mende1

Thanks for your reply, I have the time capsule set up and running fine. I can transfer data to the Data folder within time capsule, my question though is how to back the data up that is stored to an external hard drive plugged into my computer (in System Preferences, I select the 3TB to be the time machine back up but it doesn't back up the drive on the time capsule.)

Oct 29, 2012 12:28 AM in response to mende1

Thanks for the archive info, but is there a way to have it back up through time machine? Time Machine is awesome and I like how it backs up all the time as you make changes. Is there a way to back up the data using time machine? I could put the external drive into the port on the time capsule, would that back up the time capsule as well as my Macbook?

Oct 29, 2012 6:16 AM in response to BBN9

is there a way to have it back up through time machine?

No, since Time Machine cannot backup data on a network drive, which is what the Time Capsule is. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper have this type of capability though.

I could put the external drive into the port on the time capsule, would that back up the time capsule as well as my Macbook?

No, as far as backing up the data on the Time Capsule. Yes, as far as backing up your Mac.

Oct 29, 2012 3:15 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your help, a bit dissappointing as I called Apple and asked them specifically if I would be able to do this with Time Capsule and was told that I could (that was the reason I went with this setup!). I will work with the archiving function to save Itunes folder stored on Time Capsule and set up Automator to do this periodically. Thanks!

How to back up data stored on time capsule to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.