Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing S.L. onto kingston 120GB SSD - common issues?

Hey guys - just bought a 2008 MP & I want to run 10.6.8 off a kingston 120gb SSD:

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8846

This will be my boot & applications HD.

I spoke to a tech guy a week or so ago & he made it sound like installing the OS onto the SSD wasn't as straight forward as on a regular HD.

From memory he mentioned that SSDs had different file management & therefore had to be "setup" slightly differently?

Is there a different method or procedure that needs to be taken when installing S.L. onto a SSD? Or did he tell me that in order to get the job?

If anyone can shed any light on this i would highly appreciate it!

Cheers - Mal

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 7:01 AM

The only consideration I'm aware of is using TRIM to collect deleted data space, for reuse. It's supported in Lion/ML, although you need to enable it (google TRIM OS X SSD to find the couple of lines you need to change. There are some programs that will do that for you too).

Your MP is probably SATA II, and your SSD should be backwards compatible. However, I just installed an SATA III capable SSD in a 2010 mini, and it ran at SATA I speeds. Installed an SATA II capable drive, which works at SATA II speeds. The way to check it is to click the apple on the menu bar, about this mac, more info, system report if you have Lion/ML, and serial ATA. Look at the link speed and negotiated link speed. You want them to be equal at SATA II (3 Gbit/s) or SATA III (6 Gbit/s) speeds.

Also, keep in mind for the capacity that you want to keep 10% or more free space for systems usage. So, 128GB probably formats to around 115GB, which would mean programs and data should stay below ~100GB.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2012 7:01 AM in response to DJstylus

The only consideration I'm aware of is using TRIM to collect deleted data space, for reuse. It's supported in Lion/ML, although you need to enable it (google TRIM OS X SSD to find the couple of lines you need to change. There are some programs that will do that for you too).

Your MP is probably SATA II, and your SSD should be backwards compatible. However, I just installed an SATA III capable SSD in a 2010 mini, and it ran at SATA I speeds. Installed an SATA II capable drive, which works at SATA II speeds. The way to check it is to click the apple on the menu bar, about this mac, more info, system report if you have Lion/ML, and serial ATA. Look at the link speed and negotiated link speed. You want them to be equal at SATA II (3 Gbit/s) or SATA III (6 Gbit/s) speeds.

Also, keep in mind for the capacity that you want to keep 10% or more free space for systems usage. So, 128GB probably formats to around 115GB, which would mean programs and data should stay below ~100GB.

Installing S.L. onto kingston 120GB SSD - common issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.