Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best WiFi local network configuration?

Hi,

I have to create a WiFi network for a Theater performance between my MacBook Pro and 3 iPhones 4

I plan to use my old Apple Airport Extreme Base 802.11n (is the fact that it's based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification is not a problem), Model A1301 (3rd Generation) - March 2009

I could get it connected directly to my laptop by Ethernet cable.

I need your advises to get :

- best bandwidth from iPhones to Airport base (Base settings, iPhones settings)

- best stability

- as low as possible network perturbations

Thanks for your help

Eric

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:39 AM

13 replies

Oct 29, 2012 8:09 AM in response to CRMDVM

I have Airport Utility version 6.1 and my Mac OS is 10.7.5

As far as I know, I'd prefer to set up a Wi-Fi LAN with ethernet access as I think it would be better to get Ethernet connexion between Airport base and my MacBook Pro. And let all the WiFI bandwidth for the 3 connexions from iPhones 4 to the Airport base.

I have an software on my Mac that uses the 3 live video streams.

I need an optimal bandwidth and very good stability to get smooth video and best image quality…

Oct 29, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Eric Azerty

Ok - I got it going at this end - now you try it - first you have to do a factory reset on the Extreme - unplug the Extreme - hold in the reset button while plugging it back in - when the light flashes, release the button - wait until the light flashes slowly indicating a factory reset - then connect an ethernet cable from the mac to a LAN port on the Extreme and open the Airport Utility - you should see the Extreme - you may have to switch off the Wi-Fi on the mac to do it this way - if you can't see the Extreme try the WAN port - let me know if you ge to this point and we will proceed

Oct 29, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Eric Azerty

OK - sorry to hear about your leg - here is the information that you will use - you can do it manually or with the assist feature:

Connect via Ethernet - you will choose to ignore the error message for this choice later

Create a new network

Name the Network

Assign a password to the base station - you may be given a choice of single or separate passwords - choose separate

Choose no security or enter network password if you want to - I recommend a simple 8 character password

Choose WPA2 Personal security if you choose to use a password

Ethernet WAN port off

No guest network

No setup over WAN

Accept all other defaults

When you are done press update - you will see several error messages - choose to ignore them all - the above is not necessarily in the correct order depending on your version of the Airport Utility.

If you need help when you try it yourself let me know - it worked here - it should work for you.

I hope your recovery goes well,

Charlie

Oct 29, 2012 3:15 PM in response to Eric Azerty

These messages are because in order to do what you want, we had to set up the Extreme as if it was attached via ethernet and receiving internet, etc. - so when you update to save your settings, it will be reporting errors because these settings are not valid - this will not affect the performance of the Extreme - however in a theater setting, you will have to have the Extreme as close as possible to the users to achieve your goal - I cannot guarantee that it will work in your situation exactly but the Extreme will be transmitting at full capability - I setup my Extreme with the Assist Me feature of the AU - this is one reason why more of the error messages appear - I thought this might be easier for you - if you want to I can try the manual method and see if it decreases the number of mesages - but it really doesn't make any difference in performance - and I can't do it until Thursday when I am back in the office - I don't have an extra Extreme to try it at home - let me know.

Best WiFi local network configuration?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.