13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 3:15 PM by CRMDVM
Eric Azerty Level 1 Level 1

Hi,

I have to create a WiFi network for a Theater performance between my MacBook Pro and 3 iPhones 4

I plan to use my old Apple Airport Extreme Base 802.11n (is the fact that it's based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification is not a problem), Model A1301 (3rd Generation) - March  2009

I could get it connected directly to my laptop by Ethernet cable.

I need your advises to get :

- best bandwidth from iPhones to Airport base (Base settings, iPhones settings)

- best stability

- as low as possible network perturbations

Thanks for your help

Eric

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1
Reply by CRMDVM on Oct 29, 2012 11:45 AM Helpful

OK - sorry to hear about your leg - here is the information that you will use - you can do it manually or with the assist feature:

Connect via Ethernet - you will choose to ignore the error message for this choice later

Create a new network

Name the Network

Assign a password to the base station  - you may be given a choice of single or separate passwords - choose separate

Choose no security or enter network password if you want to - I recommend a simple 8 character password

Choose WPA2 Personal security if you choose to use a password

Ethernet WAN port off

No guest network

No setup over WAN

Accept all other defaults

When you are done press update - you will see several error messages - choose to ignore them all - the above is not necessarily in the correct order depending on your version of the Airport Utility.

If you need help when you try it yourself let me know - it worked here - it should work for you.

I hope your recovery goes well,

Charlie

Reply by CRMDVM on Oct 29, 2012 3:15 PM Helpful

These messages are because in order to do what you want, we had to set up the Extreme as if it was attached via ethernet and receiving internet, etc. - so when you update to save your settings, it will be reporting errors because these settings are not valid - this will not affect the performance of the Extreme - however in a theater setting, you will have to have the Extreme as close as possible to the users to achieve your goal - I cannot guarantee that it will work in your situation exactly but the Extreme will be transmitting at full capability - I setup my Extreme with the Assist Me feature of the AU - this is one reason why more of the error messages appear - I thought this might be easier for you - if you want to I can try the manual method and see if it decreases the number of mesages - but it really doesn't make any difference in performance - and I can't do it until Thursday when I am back in the office - I don't have an extra Extreme to try it at home - let me know.

All replies

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

Do you want to set up a Wi-Fi LAN without ethernet access? - and what version ot the Airport Utility are you using on your Mac?

• Eric Azerty Level 1 Level 1

I have Airport Utility version 6.1 and my Mac OS is 10.7.5

As far as I know, I'd prefer to set up a Wi-Fi LAN with ethernet access as I think it would be better to get Ethernet connexion between Airport base and my MacBook Pro. And let all the WiFI bandwidth for the 3 connexions from iPhones 4 to the Airport base.

I have an software on my Mac that uses the 3 live video streams.

I need an optimal bandwidth and very good stability to get smooth video and best image quality…

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

What type of internet service do you have, how fast is it and how would you connect to it in the theater on your Mac

Oops I should have been unclear…

I don't need any internet connexion. Just best connexions between 3 iPhones 4 and my MacBok Pro via Airport Extreme

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

I can advise you on setting up the Extreme but connecting Macs and iPhones and your software is out of my area of experience - you would need to post that question in the appropriate forum - would you like information on setting up the Extreme?

So that should be OK:

- I just need help to built the best private wifi network between 3 iPhones 4 and my MBP throught my old Airport Extreme base.

- I don't need an internet connexion for this project

- I don't need help for softwares

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

Ok - thanks - this is not a common setup so I am going to set it up myself and then list the steps for you so give me some time and I will get back to you

Great thank you

I stay tuned!

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

Ok - I got it going at this end - now you try it - first you have to do a factory reset on the Extreme - unplug the Extreme - hold in the reset button while plugging it back in - when the light flashes, release the button - wait until the light flashes slowly indicating a factory reset - then connect an ethernet cable from the mac to a LAN port on the Extreme and open the Airport Utility - you should see the Extreme - you may have to switch off the Wi-Fi on the mac to do it this way - if you can't see the Extreme try the WAN port - let me know if you ge to this point and we will proceed

Unfortunately I broke my leg a few days ago and I have several weeks without being able to move and plug anything...  so all has to be theorical for now!

I follow you.

I'm sure there will be no problem with the LAN connexion...

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

OK - sorry to hear about your leg - here is the information that you will use - you can do it manually or with the assist feature:

Connect via Ethernet - you will choose to ignore the error message for this choice later

Create a new network

Name the Network

Assign a password to the base station  - you may be given a choice of single or separate passwords - choose separate

Choose no security or enter network password if you want to - I recommend a simple 8 character password

Choose WPA2 Personal security if you choose to use a password

Ethernet WAN port off

No guest network

No setup over WAN

Accept all other defaults

When you are done press update - you will see several error messages - choose to ignore them all - the above is not necessarily in the correct order depending on your version of the Airport Utility.

If you need help when you try it yourself let me know - it worked here - it should work for you.

I hope your recovery goes well,

Charlie

Thank you CRMDVM

- When you say:

"When you are done press update - you will see several error messages - choose to ignore them all "

What are these alert about ?

- with these settings I get full bandwidth potential from the Airport base?

- nothing special to avoid/protect from perturbations from theater and audience?

• CRMDVM Level 4 Level 4

These messages are because in order to do what you want, we had to set up the Extreme as if it was attached via ethernet and receiving internet, etc. - so when you update to save your settings, it will be reporting errors because these settings are not valid - this will not affect the performance of the Extreme - however in a theater setting, you will have to have the Extreme as close as possible to the users to achieve your goal - I cannot guarantee that it will work in your situation exactly but the Extreme will be transmitting at full capability - I setup my Extreme with the Assist Me feature of the AU - this is one reason why more of the error messages appear - I thought this might be easier for you - if you want to I can try the manual method and see if it decreases the number of mesages - but it really doesn't make any difference in performance - and I can't do it until Thursday when I am back in the office - I don't have an extra Extreme to try it at home - let me know.