Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate HD replacement - Can iMac 2009 have SSD instead of HDD?

Hi

Apple emailed a relative (UK) based last week to advise their 27" iMac (Nov 2009) has a Seagate HDD and should be replaced under warranty. My relative wants to do this, but would prefer to have an SSD installed instead and the new HDD given to him, so he can put this in a HDD enclosure instead.

So, firstly is his iMac (Nov 2009 model) capable of having a SSD drive instead instead of a standard HDD?

Secondly, under the Seagate replacement, would an Apple Premier Reseller and Service Centre likely to do this for him and give him the new HDD to put in the enclosure (if he pays for the new SSD and fitting).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt

him

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 7:17 AM

An SSD is a drive as far as the OS is concerned so it should work.

I know Apple wouldn't do the swap under warranty, because the SSDs aren't certified by Apple (and warranty replaement is like-for-like). No idea whether the reseller would do it: If so, there would probably be a charge as it's not a "warranty" replacement which again I'd suspect would be like-for-like.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2012 7:17 AM in response to AppleMacCider

An SSD is a drive as far as the OS is concerned so it should work.

I know Apple wouldn't do the swap under warranty, because the SSDs aren't certified by Apple (and warranty replaement is like-for-like). No idea whether the reseller would do it: If so, there would probably be a charge as it's not a "warranty" replacement which again I'd suspect would be like-for-like.

Oct 29, 2012 8:15 AM in response to William Lloyd

Thanks William

I have just phoned the Service Centre (as know the local Apple Store) won't install anything not Apple.

They asked for the seral number but said could not install the SSD as this i7 iMac was missing a part to fit the SSD in. I expect they mean the bracket.

My relative is likely to go for a Crucial SSD. Are all brackets the same that come with SSD

Seagate HD replacement - Can iMac 2009 have SSD instead of HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.