Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't photos from external drive stay on my computer (iPhoto) once I disconnect the external drive?

I'm trying to move photos from my external drive to my new computer. When I connect the external drive, I'm able to view all the photos in iPhoto, and I'm able to drag photos to a desktop folder and/or directly into iPhoto. But, when I disconnect the external drive, I no longer have access to the photos on my computer. I'm sure there's a step I may be overlooking but I'm using the same process I've used in the past and cannot determine next steps.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:53 AM

5 replies

Oct 29, 2012 6:19 AM in response to ew12

You need to describe exactly what you are doing and what is happening including error messages, versions of iPhoto, etc

The general answer it to verify that the iPhoto preference to copy imported item to the iPhoto library is checked, the selected iPhoto library is on your internal drive and then import your photos. after at least one backup cycle you can trash the source photos, disconnect the drive or what every you want

LN

Oct 29, 2012 7:40 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks so far.

I'm currently working on a 2012 MacBook Air 13", running OSX 10.8.

Upon opening my external drive, I've dragged the iPhoto Library to my computer's desktop. When I've opened iPhoto and tried to import the library (from external drive and/or from the desktop), I'm unable to do so, i.e., the library is not highlighted (it won't allow me to click on it).

I can open and view the library from my external drive in iPhoto when the external drive is connected to the computer. But, once the external drive is disconnected from the computer, I'm unable to view the library

I've tried all of the aforementioned when the "Copy Imported Item(s) to the iPhoto Library" is checked.

Oct 29, 2012 7:58 AM in response to ew12

1 - NEVER import an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library - it does not work and creates massive duplication

2 - you simply want to drag teh iPhoto library to the pictures folder of the MBA and launch iPhoto (assuming you do not have an existing iPhoto library there - if you do rename the one on your desktop - maybe iPhoto library ext - drag the renamed iPhoto library to the pictures folder and depress the option key and launch iPhoto - use the select librarh command to pick the new library)

3 - obviously you can not open the iPhoto library on the external when it is not available

LN

Why won't photos from external drive stay on my computer (iPhoto) once I disconnect the external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.