Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad 3: Group contacts and group mailing

1) My new ipad 3 synced my contacts perfectly. It also shows my many GROUPS. But...why bother showing my groups if I can't do a group emailing??? Can someone tell me why GROUPS are even in the ipad contacts if you can't do a thing with them? What am I missing?

2) I realize there are apps that allow me to set up groups and email to them. But I have to redo all my group contact info. Is there any way I can mail my groups from my ipad using the synced info from my computer contacts?

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 6, IPad 3

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 8:03 AM

15 replies

Oct 29, 2012 11:26 AM in response to caseysue

Once groups are set up and synched to the iPad, you can use the groups when assigning one or more addressees to the To field in an email. Assuming you have a logical structure around the groups, it prevents the need to scroll through more contats than would otherwise be necessary (if you were not using groups, for example).Select onlythe group you would be selecting recipients from.

I personally do not find it all that helpful since I keep the number of contacts on the iPad to a workable minimum. The only exception are some email addresses associated with specific services I use, and a couple of reciepients that tend to get the same email messages.

Oct 31, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Robert Huber

You are correct. Group mailing on the iPad is non existent, but is it possible that you are misunderstanding what James is explaining?

James is merely stating that once you bring up the particular Group from the contacts app in the mail app, you don't have to sort through every single contact in the contacts app -in order to add members from that group to the To: field. You still have to add the contacts one at a time, but you don't have to swipe through every contact in your list if you tap on the group that you want to pull the email addresses from.

Mail Shot and Group Email with Attachments are third party email apps that offer the feature of emailing to Groups.

Oct 31, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Demo

Actually, no. You can do nothing with the groups in the contact except check them or uncheck them. Try to use it in the mail app, and it acts like it doesn't recognize the group at all. There is no way on the iPad to even add people, one at a time, to any group, let alone use the group that is there.

But, when I use the MailShot program and specify which group to create, it imports all the names from the group listed in the contacts as if they are really there. So if they are really there, why would Apple not utilize the contacts and mail programs for them? Bizarre!

Oct 31, 2012 4:55 PM in response to caseysue

You are absolutely correct that you cannot simply select one group and have the mail app enter all of the contacts from that group into the "To" field. But that is not what I was trying to explain.

If you have 10 groups set up on the iPad and you want to send an email to all of the people in group #2, when you tap the blue + sign in the mail app in order to add more names to the email "To:" field, you can select Group # 2 from the contacts app.

Yes - you still have to add each contact one at a time that is in Group # 2 - I am not disputing that - but you do not have to sort through every other contact in Group 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10, just to get to the contacts in Group #2. All of those groups will not appear because you selected Group #2 from the contacts app already.

Its not what you wanted to do ... I realize that. I was just explaining what James was saying. You still have to enter each contact one at a time, you just don't have to sift through every group in the entire contacts app, since you were able to bring up Group # 2.

And yes this does work, because I have done it in the past. Like James, I have very little use to email to groups, but for the few groups that I did set up in iCloud, this works for my needs.

Oct 31, 2012 4:58 PM in response to Demo

I really hate to keep pushing the issue here, but I just did what you said to do, tapped the +, and typed in the group name, and the group name came up, but when I selected it, it said no email addresses here. Yet, when I used the program I bought to import from that same group, it brought them all in.

Please, someone else here try it and tell me if I'm a total idiot!

Nov 1, 2012 4:12 AM in response to caseysue

I am not trying to make you feel like an idiot and I emphasize once again that this does not solve the fact that you cannot select just one group from contacts and then have all of the individual contacts entered in the "To:" field at once. You do need a third party app like MailShot in order to do that.

This is merely a shortcut to allow you to not have to wade through every contact in the contacts app to use the emails addresses in the group of choice.

In this first screen shot I have tapped the blue + selected the group "Family" from the Contacts app pop up. Then I tapped "Done". The next window that pops up shows only the names of the contacts from my group called "Family"

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Obviously I erased the names for this screen shot but you can see (I hope) that only the names in this Family group (10 names) are here to pick from. I still must add each name one at a time - but I didn't have to sort through every name in my whole contacts list to get to them.

Like I said this does not do what you wanted to do - it is just a means of saving some time.

I was just trying to explain how this works, I don't want to complicate things for you. MailShot does what you want it to do, so you are fine with that! 🙂

Nov 1, 2012 9:06 AM in response to Demo

Thank you, I finally got it from what you said here. The stumbling block for me was understanding how to use the Group List drop down list/menu. I saw all the groups checked by default and that threw me. Finally figured out that you had to uncheck All Groups first, then check the group you want to bring it up. From there what you said made sense—I could select members of that group individually to go into the To: field.

BTW, whatever happened to the Discussion option to indicate that a response solved your problem? All there is now is a like button.

Nov 1, 2012 9:12 AM in response to Robert Huber

I suppose that I should have made it clearer that you have to uncheck the other groups in order to select only the one, so I apologize for that.

Only the person that intimated the discussion - the person that posted the question - can award correct or helpful answers.

My "solution" still does not make it as easy as simply selecting a group and then having the mail app populate the "To" field with all of the contacts at once, but it sure beats sorting through all of the contacts in the contacts app.

Feb 9, 2013 12:54 PM in response to caseysue

you can always from you ipad mail go to the sent folder at your server

pick out a previous email sent to a group you have set up on you computer

Reply to all and all contacts from the group will be there in the to list

you can delete any you don't want

it is kind of a cheesy way to have to do it

if you only have 3 or 4 groups that you always use you can set up some dummy emails with very little text so you don't have to delete a long message Then make a folder on you server called groups and put them in there so you don't have to search through the sent files also make the subject line the group name

it works as a last resort

IPad 3: Group contacts and group mailing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.