Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (2012) and Dell U2713HM monitor: which cable for full resolution?

Hello all,

I'm going to buy a Mac Mini (2012) and a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM monitor. However I'm confused: which cable do I need to get full 2560x1440 resolution? Is there any extra adapter that I must buy?

Thanks for any help!

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 8:42 AM

22 replies

Dec 3, 2012 3:49 AM in response to den.thed

Do you have any issues with the Mac mini and the display?

I just ordered a U2713HM for my 2011 Mac mini, but cancelled it shortly after because I read on forums people were having problems with both it not waking after sleep, displaying YcBcR instead of RGB colors, etc.

I intended to use the mini displayport to displayport cable with the mini, as the DVI port on the monitor is reserved for a Windows 7 PC, but may have to look at another monitor if this one has issues with the min.

Mar 22, 2013 9:36 PM in response to D.F.

Hi there, i have a new mac mini (dec 2012) and bought the Dell U2713HM. i have used the dual link DVI cable that came from Dell and connected it to the HDMI port of my Mac mini. It shows 1928 x 1080 as the maximum resolution. was thinking maybe i needed specific drivers - but the Dell site shows drivers only for all Windows OS versions and none for MAC. Think i should get the Mini Displayport to (large) Displayport cable option as mentioned in this thread and try? Or am i missing something? Appreciate the help!

Jun 8, 2013 8:45 AM in response to D.F.

bought a 2013 mac mini and hooked it to the Dell 2713 HDMI to DVI, and was disappointed with the resolution. Than as suggested above got the mini displayport to displayport cable - and indeed got the higher, beautiful resolution. No issues (just had to change the the input source using the Monitor's menu).

thanks all

Jan 16, 2014 7:37 AM in response to maccyàvelli

Hi Bart

I connect my MBAir (mid 2012) to my U2713 with a DisplayPort cable (DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort in my case). It worlds just fine. Be sure to get a cable that supports the latest version of the DisplayPort standard. If you are not sure what the latest is and the cable supplier doesn't specify, go to the DisplayPort website.

When you fire the monitor up, you will need to go to the menu on the Dell and modify some of the selections (e.g., the kind of connection) but it should work fine.

Best wishes

Richard

Mac Mini (2012) and Dell U2713HM monitor: which cable for full resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.