Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cover battery compartment on PowerBook 190

Hello,

Some of the internal battery contacts of my PowerBook 190 are broken due to battery leakage (corrosion).

I tried to clean as much as I could, it looks better now.

I had to remove the old battery and now I need a way to cover the battery compartment. It wouldn't make sense to buy a new battery because I wouldn't be able to use it since some contacts are broken.

How can I cover it? Can I obtain an empty battery enclosure somewhere?

Battery model is M3254.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:49 AM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2012 6:13 AM in response to SuPeR4

I doubt you could find parts for such an old PB. Go to a store like Home Depot and get a roll of aluminum tape (used to seal air conditioning ducts) and tape over the battery compartment.

Also, suggest you join LEM-Swap for buying & selling Mac stuff. http://groups.google.com/group/lemswap

After you join, post a WTB (want to buy).

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Oct 31, 2012 9:14 AM in response to SuPeR4

If you are handy with basic tools you can split the case and remove the cells and electronic boards. Then glue the case together and have a dummy battery for filling the space. However if you are not comfortable or competent taking things apart then go with the tape as Texas Mac Man has suggested.

The pic is of a 3400 battery but the 190 is similar.

User uploaded file

Oct 31, 2012 12:45 PM in response to SuPeR4

You need to repeatedly score the joint between the front and back halves of the case till you get some separation. Then use a screwdriver or knife to pry apart the case halves and remove the contents. It will not matter if you get some irregularity of the seams asyou are not going to make a rplacement battery. Glue the halves together lining them up as best you can.

Here is a link for a Pismo battery take apart with pictures ilustrating the basic principles though it will not be identical to the 190 battery.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/hatchett/08jh/inside-powerbook-battery.html

Cover battery compartment on PowerBook 190

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.