5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 11:41 AM by Kappy
kl323 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm strongly considering the iPad 3 despite the recently unveiled iPad 4. Given the fact that I'll be using it for web browsing, video streaming (Youtube, etc), and non-graphics intensive games, I think cost to performance benefit ratio favors the iPad 3.

Given the constantly evolving landscape of iOS, will the iPad 3 be able to keep up for the next 2 years? I know Apple tends to lock out some older hardware from receiving the latest iOS updates/features.

Just wondering how futureproof the iPad 3 is at this point in time?

Thanks!

• Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (252,540 points)

As long as you can do what you want on it, it will last until it dies. My wife still uses an iPad 1 and has no need for a newer one.

• Kilgore-Trout Level 7 Level 7 (27,890 points)

Passed my original iPad off to my son, who uses it daily. Still going strong.

As for what iOS changes are in store, and what would apply to the New iPad, no one here would be able to tell you that. But it is certain that current functionality wouldn't simply disappear without a way to replace it (via App store for example).

• kl323 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I agree with what you said. But what I'm more concerned with is how long the iPad 3 will continue to receive the feature updates that will be given to the iPad 4 (I'm thinking updated Siri, Maps, etc)

• BobTheFisherman Level 6 Level 6 (11,080 points)

kl323 wrote:

I agree with what you said. But what I'm more concerned with is how long the iPad 3 will continue to receive the feature updates that will be given to the iPad 4 (I'm thinking updated Siri, Maps, etc)

We are users like you and have no insight into Apple policies. Asl Apple by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.

• Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (252,540 points)

Only until a newer version of iOS requires hardware not in the iPad 3 (of iPad 4 for that matter.) At that point you will not be able to update iOS further. But my guess is your iPad 3 has features you still don't know about nor would use. You are looking at this as though you need to stay on the bleeding edge of the technology rather than seeeing what you have for what it is - a tool. As long as the tool works it is never obsolete. I have a hammer that's over 50 years old. It still does what it was designed to do. I have another hammer that's only 12 years old, but it can't hammer a nail any better than the old hammer.