Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Clean Install Crashing. Diagnosed Driver Issue.

Late 2011 iMac 21"

OS X 10.7.5

Fresh OEM Install of Genuien WIndows 7 Professional (Up to date)

Windows crashes intermitently while using the machine. *Crash = loss of video / power

The machine will run for days without issue if no user input is being provided and sitting at the Windows Log In screen.

Event logs indicate that this error occurs immediatly (less than 1 second) prior to the crash log entry:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\ACPI0008\4&1fe8558&0

Googling the driver and error results provides a VERY wide scope of issues pleguing the Microsoft community.

At first I thought maybe it was the 3rd party IR mouse, so I tested the machine with a generic Windows wired USB mouse which yeilded the same result: System crash after some time using the machine. Does anyone know how I can find out what device the system is attempting to load the driver for and our what the driver is used for.

One possibly impirtant note about all this. They system will not power back on after the crash until I reset the SMC. Then the machine will powerup and boot ok. I asume this is just a consequence of the machine shutting down improperly, just not used to seeing that as it infrequently happens on the OS X side.

I need to get this issue resolved as I know it can cause damage to the hard drive with the frequent unexpected shutdowns.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:25 PM

1 reply

Oct 29, 2012 9:27 PM in response to Trbl_Shooter

Update: The machine also powers down unexpectidly when the display powers off due to energy saver preferences. However, it will also power off prior to that timeframe of 15 minutes as well. Attempted in a test user environment and I get the same result. I don't believe this is a hardware issue as the machine can be used for hours while booted into OS X without issue. Maybe it's just time to buldoze WIndows and start fresh again? I have 3 other machines with the exact same configuration setup at the same time and no issues.

Windows 7 Clean Install Crashing. Diagnosed Driver Issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.