Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Windows 8 work in bootcamp?

OK, I know this is going to work. Seems other have installed it in BC, with few problems. But, I already have Windows 7 installed, loaded with a lot of applications I need. If I get the full version of Windows 8, will it install over W7, and not affect my applications?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 12:58 PM

14 replies

Oct 29, 2012 7:00 PM in response to scb

That will depend on what version of Windows 7 you are running. You can simply download the Upgrade Assistant to determine if the upgrade will keep your files and programs intact. I simply do not like doing upgrades because every time I have attempted to do it, the upgrade does not run smoothly for me and nine times out of ten, I have ended up nuking my PC and doing a clean install. As an advice, back up your files that you simply can't live without to an external hard drive. And if you have the installation disks for your software, then I would do a clean install. If you don't have your software disks to re-install your software, then I would still backup my files and attempt to do an upgrade.

I have managed to get Windows 8 to work on Bootcamp doing a clean install. When you go to install the bootcamp drivers, I changed the compatability mode on the setup executable to Windows 7. The only thing that I noticed with the install is that the on-screen display does not come up; ie, if you eject a disc from your Super Drive, the on-screen pop up did not appear. Neither did it came up when I used the various function keys to change the display brightness, or volume. The functionality of the keys work; the on screen indicator does not.

Windows 8 runs perfect on Bootcamp and I have not had any issues since I have installed it.

In all, good luck!

Nov 5, 2012 11:04 AM in response to scb

I upgraded from Win 7 standard version to Win 8, it seems to work OK so far except I lost the ability to use the touchpad and brightness adjustment keys. It did crash several times at the beginning but seems to have stabilized.

If you are just playing around and still have your Win 7 disk, back up and play around with it doing a clean install as Apple Cider did, othewise I would wait till it's officially supported. I did not do a clean install ... for my needs I can use a mouse and the screen is bright enough, I DID notice the Macbook was running very hot but that could be normal for all Bootcamp scenarios...

Nov 5, 2012 3:39 PM in response to frji58

I am not concerned about that. If you read my OP, I am concerned that the applications already installed will be disabled or removed. What I need to now (maybe not what concerns you) is if I cn install over MY 7 Ultimate, with MY 8 Pro, and all the applications will be there, working. Thank you.

Nov 6, 2012 6:07 AM in response to aak47

I wouldn't do it again. I had Win8 RTM with Boot Camp 4.0 drivers (which are perfect for Win7, but medicore for Win8). There are just no official drivers, and this could corrupt your drives, do very strange things.

For example I had read rights for my HFS+ from Windows, which suddenly without any reason was restricted to a few folders. Installing Paragon helped, but this corrupted Win8 and OSX partition after a few days.

Also scale support (150-200%) is very poor in Win8, which works perfect in Win7 (weird mouse issues).

Also Win8 has a feature like a fast boot (mini hibernation), which can prduce weird blue screens after a while.

I'll wait for the official drivers. Win8 is the better OS, still.

Nov 6, 2012 7:26 AM in response to reery

Reery is it possible since Win8 RTM came out and Win 8 Pro has been released there would be any improvement?

Obviously it's better to wait for the official drivers, but if you don't need HFS+ from Windows and just want to run some programs what's the danger? What do you mean by "corrupt your drives" ? You mean hard drives and external backup drives?

Thanks for your feedback

Nov 6, 2012 7:40 AM in response to frji58

I read about not working touchpad drivers for 2011 MacBook Pro's in Win8, also HDMI audio and optical output are not working at all on my rMBP, which isn't a big issue.

It shouldn't do any harm if you just want Win8 for a few programs and don't need to access your OSX drive.

It corrupted my rMBP SSD drive completely. Win8 always does some maintenance at 3 a.m. and I left my laptop running the whole night playing music. Two days in a row I got bluescreens (fault 139) at exactly 3 a.m. when maintenance starts. When I booted afterwards in OSX I saw a progress bar and taking about 5 minutes to load OSX (actually such a bar means a serious problem in OSX). On the second day the laptop just restarted when the bar finished. When I tried to boot in Win8 I got a bluescreen 30 seconds after login screen - every time.

So both systems corrupted thanks to incompatiblity, either Paragons HFS+ driver or just shear incompatiblity.

External drives were not affected, I use them regularily but not 24/7.

Will Windows 8 work in bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.