Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought this 2007 iMac with an expired iWork software. I want to buy a new serial number, but it won't let me.

My iMac has OS X version 10.6.8.

I need to reactivate iWork, so I need to buy a new serial number for iWork '08 (I do not currently have one).

When I try to buy a new serial number, it only allows me to purchase iWork '09, but it tells me '09 isn't supported by my software.

So then when I tried to update my software, it says its not supported by my device.

I just want to use iWork. What do I need to do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 3:14 PM

6 replies

Oct 29, 2012 3:24 PM in response to 3DGA7X

You can:

1. Go on eBay or Amazon.com and try to find an iWork Boxed Set with the DVD and serial number.
  2. If you have an iMac earlier than Mid 2007 then you can install Lion. Then you can purchase the iWork apps from the App Store.
  3. If you have a Mid 2007 iMac you can upgrade to Mountain Lion. Then you can purchase the three iWork applications in the App Store.
  4. Call Apple Customer Service to see if they can help you out - Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers.

You can purchase Lion by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download.

Snow Leopard General requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

Oct 29, 2012 4:24 PM in response to 3DGA7X

As an additional thought:

I was in a thread here once where the person was not able to install iWork because the previous owner had installed the free trial and the new owner was prompted to enter a serial number to buy it. Which is something that is no longer possible.

In case your situation is the same, you need to uninstall the iWork you have on there now because you can't resurrect it and you can't install anything over it. If it was a trial, the opportunity to get a license passed long ago. You can then proceed as suggested by Kappy - buy it somewhere and then install it.

I just bought this 2007 iMac with an expired iWork software. I want to buy a new serial number, but it won't let me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.