Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty downloading updates

I have been having trouble downloading updates. iTunes 10.6.3, iPhoto 9.4.1, and Mountain Lion. Each time I receive a message saying there is a validation error, or the software might have been corrupted, or it quits for some "unkown difficulty".

I am currently using Lion 10.7.5 on a Macbook Pro with 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 processor and loads of hard disk space.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 7:33 PM

2 replies

Oct 29, 2012 10:10 PM in response to corneadoc

There's a bit of troubleshooting advice out there:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2404

You might check the "I get an alert when trying to download ..." section, and the "If you can't download or install an update" link in that area.

The Mountain Lion update is huge (>4GB). If the issue might be with your WiFi signal speed or quality, and if you're in the U.S. and it's practical for you, you might consider simply taking your computer to a nearby Apple Store and hanging out there using their (very fast) WiFi to complete the downloads.

Also, since you're planning a Mountain Lion upgrade, you should know that the latest iTunes is 10.7. You're correct is seeking iPhoto 9.4.1, as it is the current version.

Hope this helps.

Oct 30, 2012 5:49 AM in response to sberman

Thanks for your response. I did initially try to update to iTunes 10.7 via Software Update but when I had continued difficulties, I thought I might try the incremental approach first--the message I got is that my iPhone 4S needed iTunes 10.6.3 to sync.

I've tried the suggestions on the site you suggested. I've tried downloading the software individually from the Apple website. Still no joy. I hooked up my MacBook Pro to our ethernet connection so it's not a WiFi speed or signal issue.

For Mountain Lion, I can actually download the software but it encounters an error each time I try to install the software. I've run DiskUtility to check my hard disk and it says everthing is fine.

The error message from iPhoto is that it cannot write a particular file to a Resources file. It's always the same file, then it stops installation.

Difficulty downloading updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.