Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro won't boot or chime after power surge

I have an eight-core 2,1 Mac Pro that is plugged into an UPS unit. Tonight the building I live in had a series of power surges that knocked out my UPS and Mac Pro. Once the power stabilized, I tried to turn the Mac back on without any luck. When I press the power button the computer's fan and hard drives start up and the graphics card's fan spin at high but the computer does not chime, the screens do not turn on, and the keyboard receives no power. The power light remains solid after I turn the computer on. I have tried unplugging the computer for a while, replacing the graphics card with another card, and going through the RAM pair by pair. Nothing seems to cause any different behavior. I have not been any issues with the computer before this. Please help with any ideas.

I do freelance production work for a living so this is a serious issue for me.

Thank you so much.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:29 PM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2012 8:17 AM in response to Douglas Parker1

The chime is generated in software after the first part of the power-on self test has passed. If there is no chime, you go nowhere.

Conventional wisdom is to remove everything that could be dragging down the power and test to look for the chime:

remove the graphics card and all PCIe slot cards.

Remove ALL drives

remove most RAM, except for one pair.

Remove all external devices.

Reset PMU by removing AC power cord, pressing start button for 10 seconds to drain power capacitors, then restoring AC power cord, waiting a quarter minute then attempting to restart.

On older Macs, a PRAM backup battery (normally about 3 Volts) that was really low could cause problems in starting.

Oct 31, 2012 7:00 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I have tried everything you mentioned (except for the battery which I cannot get out). At this point I am sad to say it is probably a logic board issue and therefore is not worth the expense. Unfortunately my local Mac repair shop is powerless and phoneless for the foreseeable future.

Oct 31, 2012 9:36 AM in response to Douglas Parker1

What model UPS? 1500VA hopefully. How old and condition?

APC wants all the sources to the system filtered to insure equipment. And one reason among others for having a UPS. That means filter and surge on coax, ethernet as well.

Someone else - two months ago? - maybe longer, with surge etc that knocked out their system and it was an APC RS-1500VA I think or SMART 1000VA (minimum you would want).

As for parts, DVWarehouse is probably worth a look, but right now ref'd special 2010's go for $1819 and nice deal.

Oct 31, 2012 11:15 AM in response to The hatter

I have an APC BX1000 that is about 3 years old. It has worked well in the past when their has been a blown fuse or such but immediately went to alarm when this surge hit and off went the computer for good. The computer is the only item connected to the battery and it is set to shutdown when on battery power. I have reached out to APC already and am filing a claim with them for the UPS unit and the computer currently.

Thanks for the heads up on DVWarehouse for parts and the refurbs at Apple. If I purchase a new unit I think I want to get something that is not newer than a 3,1 Mac Pro so that all my current internal components will work.

Oct 31, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Douglas Parker1

you really want to stay iwth PCIe 1.1 graphics? no 64-bit mode, all the rest of the bugs and issues?

The 3,1 is buggy but 5,1 would be good to go and worth it. Name one component. And any Mac Pro even today can run 10.6.8 and use Rosetta so no software issues.

XS is sold 3rd party outlets. I have one and there is FAQ on the difference between it and RS (also have) and mine are about 6 and 8 yrs old still going strong-ish. But 1500VA the ones that have connector for add'l power pack of 60 minutes. Other than replacing battery, which is 1/2 the cost, and 1000VA I assume is cutting it thin on watts, your 8-core shipped with a larger PSU capacity than the other 1,1 and 2,1 model.

We had storms last winter that taught me a couple lessons and now even the cable modem is behind a CyberPower 1500VA (the APC would interfere and bad signal and ping latency). And a spare backup modem and routers - cannot be w/o service.

Of course you can pick up a 1,1 and upgrade it yourself with X5355s but I would get the Special from Apple Store - and throw in a W3680/90 yourself and have a system that will outperform and last and can run 10.8.2+ along with the newer GTX 670 if you need to.

Mac Pro won't boot or chime after power surge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.