Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Router Type Changes From Full Cone to Port Restricted

Tonight my girlfriend and I were using iChat to share screens.

Her Computer: 2008 MacBook Pro running Leopard.

My Computer: 2007 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

I've already preconfigured the port settings for iChat on my router: Netgear CGD24G

When I check the Connection Doctor it shows my router type as Full Cone before we share screens.

Tonight, I was sharing my screen with her and during that time, on her side, the screen had froze but we were still able to talk each other.

When I checked the Connection Doctor on my side while we were sharing screens it was now showing my router type as Port Restricted.

Does anybody know why that happens or if there's a fix for that? Also why would my screen freeze on her side during our session? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 17" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 4GB RAM

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:33 PM

3 replies

Nov 1, 2012 2:39 PM in response to DJWebDUck

Hi,

My Netgear that I used to use (DG834G) had UPnP which I had it set to (It is a default setting) and it always showed and Port Restricted

UPnP is virtually needed to do Screen Sharing as it uses a random port to make the VCN connection that handles the Screen part.

The "Screen Freeze" is most likely to be down to internet speed issue.

User uploaded file
9:38 PM Thursday; November 1, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 2, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I also had to manaully set mine to allow UPnP as well. What I noticed was that for the first few minutes everything was running normally and then all of the sudden things started slowing down on her side.

Just did a test over at speedtest.net. Here are my results: DL: 17.27Mbps. UL: 0.29Mbps.

I'll ask her to check her to do the same and post her result when I get them.

Nov 3, 2012 1:21 PM in response to DJWebDUck

Hi,

Where I am with a DSL service which is limited by the distance I am from the exchange I get 7Mbs download and about 780kbps upload.

Your Upload is close to 300kbps and looks a bit low in comparison to your Download.

Are or were there any other items that might have been uploading at the same time ?

Games Consoles or other computers for instance.

The 290-300kbps is still good enough for 1-1 Video chats

Apple states you should have 384kbps to act as Host in a 4 way Video Chat (It can be done with less but issues creep in)

Try running a Chat with the Connection Doctor Open (Video Menu)

This will state the running Bit rate for both you and your Buddy (how much Messages is using rather than how much speed there is available).

This way you may see blips in the service.

Some ISPs cannot tell the difference between Peer to Peer Video Chat and Peer to Peer File Sharing.

As a result some take positive action against File Sharing by slowing your or your Buddies service to make File Sharing impractical. This can impact on Video Chat in iChat and Messages.

User uploaded file
8:21 PM Saturday; November 3, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Router Type Changes From Full Cone to Port Restricted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.